My Week that Was - September 4

North Shore coast on Lake Superior near
Two Harbors. 8/24/2021 dwm photo
 After our vacation to Minnesota's North Shore it was nice that we returned home on Friday, which allowed for recuperation over the weekend before heading back to the office.

 Both days were quiet, although I did log-on the work computer Sunday to sort through a week's worth of email.  I was glad, as it saved me an hour filtering through messages Monday morning.

 The first day back means getting back in the rhythm of the workplace and attacking the projects put on pause when you left.  Thankfully, I didn't have any unfinished business and only a few calls to return.

The weather cooled down this week.  It's also dark when I start running again.  It was striking to see the constellation Orion again.  Wednesday morning's run went well until it didn't.  About a mile and a half in I developed muscle soreness in the left calf which became sharp.  Not wanting to push it too far, I stopped, stretched, and then retraced my steps at a walk.  

Thanks to some rub-on I was feeling better by evening planning to try it again Thursday.

My run Thursday was nearly normal, just slightly slower.  I can't go too much slower or I can't call it running anymore.  Friday continued the improvement, so I'm thankful it didn't linger.

Joining a fantasy football league was never on my radar until our oldest son said he needed a couple more people to complete his league.  He was looking for four people.  I told him if he found three, I'd do it.

I'm doing it.  Thursday was draft night for the Veronison Pointdexters and by some magic we had the first overall draft choice which I used to select multi-tool running back Christian McCaffrey of the Carolina Panthers.  McCaffrey was the obvious choice, ranked #1 on every fantasy draft board on earth.

Let's pause for a moment.  Imagine explaining to your grandfather that there are people and industries dedicated to evaluating, studying, writing, and discussing why you should or shouldn't select a football player for a make-believe team that competes based on the statistics the player gets on a real field.

You could make the actual selections during the draft from a constantly updated list of players as each team selected.  In our 16-team league named for the Sportz Boyz that meant 16 picks to choose a quarterback, two running backs, two receivers, a tight end, and all-purpose player (plus their back-ups) plus a kicker and team defense and special teams unit.

It only took an hour to make the 256 choices to complete the rosters.  Now we wait for the games to begin to see how "we" do.

Speaking of doing... the Wisconsin Badgers kick off their season today with a home game against Penn State. My Fearless Forecast device is a bit hazy, maybe from the on-going smoke blowing out of Minnesota, but I see the Badgers winning their regular season games, standing 11 - 0 when they play for the B1G Championship in December.  I could make a case down to 8 - 3, but I believe with a strong start they ride the momentum of Wisconsin sports begun by the Milwaukee Bucks and continued by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Go Badgers!

Comments