My Life - Chapter 39 - Matter of Faith

Steeple of St. James Lutheran
Church, Verona, WI. 4/1/2017 (dwm)
A week after birth, I was baptized at the Lutheran Church in Libertyville, Illinois.

My parents, as long as I remember, were involved with the church we attended on a variety of levels whether it was teaching Sunday School, leading Bible studies, serving on a committees, organizing programs, or attending every Sunday.

We didn't go to every service, but if there was worship on Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday you could probably find us half-way back on the left side of the sanctuary.

In addition to Sunday, I was enrolled in St. Paul Lutheran School where I heard stories from the Bible and learned God's promise of salvation. 

Because I was born to Christian parents, I heard the Good News at home, church, and school.  I still sing along with the hymn, "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so."

Just like salvation is a gift, so is faith, given by the Holy Spirit.  

Neither means a trouble-free life or immunity to hard times, but it's the foundation on which everything is built.

There are many times I've strayed from the right path.  Moments when hope seemed lost.

In those times, prayer and asking for forgiveness provided comfort and reminded me that God is faithful to His promises.  I can't earn anything.  As a sinner, Jesus paid the price for me and clothes me in his righteousness.  That's the case for each person who believes in Jesus Christ as their Savior.

We don't all believe in the same God, agree on the means of salvation, and there are some who don't believe there is a God.  We may disagree, but I respect your opinion and ask you respect mine.  For me, it's a matter of faith.

Comments