My Life - Chapter 37 - Morning Bird or Night Owl

Sunrise 9/14/2019 dwm photo
While I pulled my share of all-nighters and long hours during college, ultimately I am a morning person.

Maybe it is how I was raised.  I don't recall sleeping in many Saturdays, but am pretty sure that wasn't an option.  An early memory is Mom and Dad wheeling their TV into my bedroom Friday night so I would stay in bed to watch cartoons Saturday morning.

In college, after a late night studying, talking or watching movies, I was awake after six to meet a few friends for breakfast when Olmstead opened.  On the mornings when Kevin was part of the group, we sang "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" on the way.

Life as a morning person doesn't mean being cheerful every day.  I was grumpy at least until finishing breakfast which included hot tea (like Dad), juice, cereal, and toast.  For me, being a morning person is hard-wired.  Since turning 50 something wakes me up between 5 and 5:30 with no alarm necessary.

I have more energy at the start of the day.  It's when I'm at my best and eager to get to work, start a project, or begin a trip.

As the first beams of light make their arc across the sky, the world is filled with promise and possibilities.

It doesn't mean every dream comes true or wish realized; it does mean if there is something to do, a place to go, a task to complete - the best time for me to do it is the morning.

Comments