Minnesota Lighthouses - Minnesota Point

The remnants of the Minnesota Point
lighthouse. 8/23/2021 dwm photo
 The lighthouse resource I trust the most is LighthouseFriends.com.  It's provided good information on the history of lights. 

 Most important are its maps and directions because some lights are surprisingly difficult to find.  In the case of the Minnesota Point light, it says, "Park by the airport and walk the remaining 1.5 miles out to the remains of the Minnesota Point Lighthouse."

 Just to be clear, I didn't have a pedometer with me, but I'd say that's the longest 1-1/2 miles I've ever traveled.  When I reached the destination I met a couple heading back, the man thought they walked five miles!

The Superior Entry light was just across the
channel from Minnesota. 8/23/21 (dwm)
It may be the fault of beach sand.  Minnesota Point is at the end of seven miles of sand bar extending south from Duluth.  I drove 4 and a half miles to the airport then got out and walked.  I'd say at least a quarter-mile, if not twice that was spent walking in thick sand.  Used to walking a mile in 15 minutes, it took twice that to navigate the footpath.

Left to rot after being replaced with a light on the breakwater across from Wisconsin's light I didn't see the ruins of the 40-foot tower until almost on top of it.  I noticed it at the same the Superior light came into view (photo right).

From the path it was hard to
see the tower for the trees.
8/23/2021 (dwm)
 Years have not been kind to the old light.  While the tower was apparently well-built, the keeper's dwelling wasn't.  The entire light was take off-line in 1885.

 Despite its length, the walk was interesting.  Trees and dunes block views of water most of the distance which made it difficult to gauge my progress.  I hoped I didn't talk a wrong turn and walk past it.  Thankfully that didn't happen. 

 After getting a few pictures I wasn't in the mood to reach the channel, preferring to get back to the car where my spouse was expecting me.

 The ruins are on the National Register of Historic Places, but it doesn't appear repairs or rehabilitation is on the horizon.

 It was worth it to see where the oldest Minnesota lighthouse stood.  History will judge whether it was positive, but big ships and the iron ore they carried out of Minnesota were the reason more Europeans followed.

Comments