Vintage Video - Wisconsin Grab Bag

I've been thinking about this video for a month before compiling it earlier this week.

The question was whether to include two stories about KKK rallies in Janesville while I was a reporter for WISC-TV.

The rally in February 1992 was disheartening enough to see such hate while at the same time encouraged by a much larger group standing in opposition.

When news first broke that racist flyers were left on car windshields at factories around town, it was my job to learn more, hopefully shining light on an issue that needed to be exposed.  In doing my job I learned the name of the man responsible for rallying people who thought like he did and made two trips to interview him.

Looking back, his home looked like you might expect with a tattered confederate flag hanging by the front door.  I set up my camera and lights in the tiny living room then asked questions while feeling I was in the presence of evil.  I did not save that first story or the second one because the memories are too vivid.

I include it here along with a couple other 'less than fun' stories to show that my life as a journalist wasn't all fun and games.


Comments