My Week that Was - August 21

The congregation where we are members is
building this church near Middleton in
Bishop's Bay... Cross Lutheran. 8/14/21 (dwm)
My ride to start this week was unusual in that I didn't have a time by which I needed to be home for our next thing.  I wasn't sure where I wanted to go, but knew I wanted to include Lake Mendota on the route.

Jump-started by weather that was the complete opposite of the previous Saturday (very warm & humid), it was in the low 50s when I headed out.  Before I had a route in mind, I took several random turns when I realized I was close to Chick-Fil-A.

It's easier to get to the restaurant thanks to an underground tunnel installed during roadwork last summer on Gammon Avenue.  After finishing a chicken biscuit and chocolate milk, I was fueled up and it was warmer.

Leaving West Towne Mall I went north on Gammon to Middleton for the trip over Lake Mendota on County Highway M which took me past the subdivision where the church we'll attend is under construction.  The photo makes it looks like it's in the middle of a corn field.  It is, but there are many homes under construction if you could look to the left of the building.

The view of downtown Madison from the
beach in Maple Bluff. 8/14/21 (dwm)
 You do need to pay attention while riding the county road as it is busy most of the time at highway speed in several stretches.  The county is planning to complete a bike path around the lake in the next five to ten years which will make the trip more fun and accessible for more people.

 One of the best things about looping around Lake Mendota is riding through Maple Bluff.  Maple Bluff is its own village inside Madison.  It's home to the Governor's Mansion and some of the nicest homes in the area.

It also offers exquisite views of Lake Mendota and the Capitol.  After taking the picture (above) I decided to continue the loop around Mendota with a longer loop that includes the other lake that defines MadCity, Lake Monona. 

During the final 10 miles there was a doe standing on the bike path looking at me as I came around  bend.  I quickly and quietly slowed down as she walked into the trees when behind her a white-spotted fawn bounced quickly across the path to join his mother in the shadows where they watched me ride on.  It was an awesome 47-mile ride.

The Brewers have been on a nice run since the All-Star Break in early July.  Pitching continues to lead the way, and the team is generating more runs than in the first-half of the season.  It's all good news for a team that looks like it could have what it takes to advance a long way in the post-season.

I've been watching parts of nearly every game from afar.  As the season gets into its final weeks, I'm looking forward to seeing a couple games live and in-person for the first time since 2019.

It's been a very good week - I want to end the blog by sharing this story I received from an Oakwood Chaplain this past Monday.  I hope you like it...

There was a farmer who grew excellent quality corn. Every year he won the award for the best grown corn. One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learned something interesting about how he grew it. The reporter discovered that the farmer shared his seed corn with his neighbors. “How can you afford to share your best seed corn with your neighbors when they are entering corn in competition with yours each year?” the reporter asked.

 

“Why sir,” said the farmer, “Didn’t you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field. If my neighbors grown inferior corn, then cross-pollination will steadily degrade the quality of my corn. If I am to grow good corn, I must help my neighbors grow good corn.”

 

So it is with our lives…Those who want to live meaningfully and well must help enrich the lives of others, for the value of a life is measured by the lives it touches. And those who choose to be happy must help others find happiness, for the welfare of each is bound up with the welfare of all…

Comments