My Life - Chapter 32 - Adventure

Leaving Eagle River on the first day of
GRABAAWR. 6/29/2003  family photo
  I don't think I'm particularly adventurous, so when this week's question asked about adventure I thought of GRABAAWR (pronounced Grab-whar).

  The GReat Annual Bicycle Adventure Along the Wisconsin River is a seven day, 500 mile ride between Eagle River and Prairie du Chien.  (It has "adventure" in it's name, so it has to count!)

  I bought a recumbent bike in 2003 after realizing I couldn't take 40 miles on a bike seat.  Long-distance rides interested me, but I'd never done a cross-country, multi-day ride or "camped" for a week on my own.

Rhonda and the boys drove me to Eagle River the day before the ride.  We checked into a hotel then drove to the high school where I confirmed my registration and picked up the ride t-shirt, bike jersey, and information about the week.

While my family drove me to the take-off point then picked me up seven days later, some riders drove to the finish where they parked, loaded their bikes and bags on a moving van then jumped on a bus for the long drive to Eagle River.

The ride suggested riders wait until 6 AM to start riding primarily so the assorted churches and other non-profits who set up meals and snacks for us along that day's route could have an idea when bikes might arrive.  The ride is not a race.  Some people waited to leave later in the morning while others left as soon as they were ready.

Day one took us into Michigan
to see the headwater of the
Wisconsin River. 6/29/03

The hosting high school used their cafeteria for dinner and breakfast service (no meals were included in the participation fee for GRABAAWR when I did it) which was handy and they were always ready to go.

The first day was probably my latest start.  The family drove my bike, bags, and me to the school; helped me get the bags to the waiting truck which would haul them to the next stop; then sent me on my way (above left).

Day One - It doesn't take long to get from Eagle River to Rhinelander, but the ride first took us north to Land O' Lakes Wisconsin and into Michigan where we saw the headwaters of the Wisconsin River.  The day's route included a 25 mile optional ride for riders who wanted to record a century.  I knew I had more energy than I would have later, so I logged 100 miles.

I pulled into Rhinelander mid-afternoon.  I found my bag on the ground outside the moving truck then took it and the bike in the high school gym where I found a spot to sleep.  Then it was time to wash off the road grime and sweat after which I took the shuttle bus downtown where I watched a matinee in the local theater.  That ritual quickly became a habit as a way to cool down and pass time before dinner.

After getting up early and riding most of the day, it was early to bed for me and nearly 300 others in the gym.  Several hundred more camped outside.

My "room" in the gym at a high school in
Wausau. 6/30/2003
 Day Two - I was up early, which despite the ear plugs, happens when other people in the gym start getting up.  We had 80 miles between us and Wausau.

 The feature attraction this day was Father Menard hill, which has nothing to do with the home improvement stores you'll find across the Midwest. 

 Organizers tried to use quieter country roads and keep us away from highways, but they kept a healthy number of hills on the route.

 A friend I met on the ride, Ed, described hills as character-builders.  He was right.  It wasn't about going fast, but staying on the bike.  

A long and winding climb up a large hill entering Wausau revealed character, I was going slower than I usually walk, but stayed in the saddle.

Ed was a retired commercial airline pilot who lived in Hawaii although he grew up in Eau Claire near Augusta where I lived.  Over several days we had a number of good conversations and enjoyed each other's company as we covered the miles.

Day Three - Wausau to Wisconsin Rapids was our route which also took us through Stevens Point.  This was the flattest day of the trip across a flat and sandy section of the state.  There was probably a tailwind too as I averaged 16 miles an hour that day.

One highlight was a small country dairy in the middle of nowhere that were expecting us and had plenty of ice cream.

Riding around Mauston's high school.
7/2/2003 family photo
Day Four - This is where the Wisconsin River takes a right turn, flowing west toward the Mississippi River.  We rode to Mauston which was a quieter trip than the day.

The small communities went to great lengths to welcome our merry band of 800 bikers.  Churches, ball teams, or veteran groups organized food and drinks in comfortable places where we could rest and cool off.  

My favorite snacks were the handmade peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  While the groups were raising money, their prices were fair.  We well for less than $5 a pop.  

Mauston was the closest overnight stop to Augusta.  Rhonda and the boys had a room at the Country Inn hotel reserved, which I welcomed since it featured a hot tub.

Day Five - This was the shortest ride of the week as it passed through Wisconsin Dells which offered more attractions and places to stop and enjoy.  While I liked the rest stops, I wanted to reach the finish line to clean up and rest up.  

First there was a matter of getting out of Mauston.  There was heavy rain the night before which washed out the sand that filled in the rough spots.  The rougher road took a toll as there were dozens of bikes stopped along the road out of town replacing flat tires.

Day Six - July 4th was a special day as we passed through small towns celebrating the nation's birthday.  We rolled into Spring Green which is home to the American Players Theater.  Before the ride we were offered a deal on tickets to one of their performances under the stars.

I decided to see "Hamlet."  If I had thought about how tired I might be and that a live performance might not end until after 10, I would have saved my money.  I did stay awake and enjoyed the show.  I thought it was interesting that the lead actor looked like a small Robin Williams.

Day Seven - The final stretch of the trip followed the river from Spring Green to Prairie du Chien.  At one point we road on the shoulder along U.S. Highway 14 where some not-so-friendly locals didn't care for us disrupting their life, so they threw soda or trash at us.  Thankfully the young men who tried hitting me didn't understand physics well-enough to hit a moving target from a moving car.

There was a final option available before the finish, a short hill with the steepest grade of the entire trip.  After hearing Ed's discussion of hills and character I wanted to take try it.  I stopped at the bottom of the hill to contemplate it, then climbed it - slowly.

Less than 10 miles from the finish line we climbed a hill for three miles.  It wasn't steep but it didn't stop.  A biker in front of me was clipped into his pedals when a combination of the hill and fatigue got the better of him.  I watched as he slowed, stopped, and then fell still clipped into his bike pedals.  Not wanting to stop, I asked if he was OK, He said yes, I kept going.

Not heaven, but close to it
seven days later. 7/5/03

 What goes up, must come down.  After cresting the peak I sailed downhill without pedaling for a very long time.  I found my family waiting in the parking lot near the Villa Louis historic site.

 After a quick hug and picking up my bag for the last time, I got back on the bike so I could cross the Mississippi River to claim my third state of the trip.

 Organizers made arrangements so we could clean up before driving home at the end of a long week.  After strapping the bike to the car, we drove to the local state correctional facility which opened its recreational center locker rooms for us.  As if it wasn't enough adventure just riding for a week, we also got to take a shower in prison.  

 Completing the ride was an accomplishment.  While a lot of it was outside my comfort zone, a supported ride (luggage transport, places to eat and sleep) and the opportunity to enjoy God's creation on the back of my bike was something I'll always remember.

I rode GRABAAWR again in 2004 and 2005.  In 2017 and 2019 I did a different long-distance ride, the Ride Across Wisconsin which were two day trips of 180 and 235 miles respectively.

A good day's ride gives me a lot of joy.  Ride On!

Comments