My Week that Was - July 31

The Dreamy 280 Farm Fresh Meats store.
7/24/2021 dwm photo
After posting the last version of my week that was, I realized we passed the ninth anniversary of They
Used to Call me Pointdexter
.  2,571 posts have appeared over that stretch.  Whether this is your first visit or you've read every one (bless you), thank you. 

The ritual of writing and thinking about what might be blog-worthy seems to be good brain exercise.  In the coming months, I'm anticipating more lighthouse visits will continue the series which will run on Thursdays.

The first day of this week we took a short trip to the Dreamy 280 Farm Fresh Meats store.  We had seen the sign while zipping past on U.S. Highway 151 but never in time to pull off the road.

It's run by the family that owns the farm.  They raise cattle then process it in nearby New Glarus, selling it from the neat and tidy store with a stand-up freezer featuring the main product along with a variety of other local goods like spices, honey, and mixes.  The store is open Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings.

Sunrise July 25, 2021.  dwm photo
  Sunrise happened 23 minutes later Sunday than it did June 21, the day of the summer solstice.

  On clear days it's not noticeable, but it is easier to be up before the sun comes up now than it was three weeks ago.  

  This last Sunday was cooler than the day prior, but with enough moisture to create a thin layer of fog suspended above the grass in the wild areas where I walk.  

  It's my day off from running and while I try to go at a good pace, I do stop and take pictures.

Thankfully I was near the most natural part of my route as the sun cleared the horizon to begin the day.

One of the most interesting things about my job are the stories... this week I heard a story of a man who, at age 9, was listening to a radio program when he heard the announcement that the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor plunging the United States into World War II.

During the last two weeks I've seen a box with an interesting company name.  The "Convenient Height Company" it says.  Prior to an internet search I had no idea what business the company was in, but I was mystified how a place calling it the convenient height company could send out boxes of different size!

Turns out the convenient height company makes taller toilets that place the seat 20 inches above the floor instead of the standard 15.  OK, I guess you really can learn something new everyday.

Thanks to everyone making masks to keep
people safe. (Internet image)
I discovered something this week that is probably old news to most of you.  It relates to face masks. 

The N-95 mask I wear because it fits comfortably was a little dirty inside near the nose.  I used water and dish soap to clean it then noticed another benefit, the mask smelled better.  Even two days later it smells good.

Speaking of masks, things are tightening up on the Covid-19 front.  As of Wednesday, authorities are pleading with everyone, including vaccinated people, wear masks in public common areas where you are with people who don't live with you.

On one hand, I appreciate there are a number of people and most young children who aren't able to line up for the vaccination.  However, most of those who aren't inoculated chose not to protect themselves and the people they love.

It's possible I could be infected and transmit the virus to someone else while fully-vaccinated, so I'll wear a mask indoors.  My prayer is that more of the millions of the unvaccinated get in line for their shots. 

Thursday night I did something different, joining the Sportz Boyz podcast hosted by my son, Matthew.  We talked Brewers, Bucks, and Packers over a quick half-hour.  Here's the link if you want to listen:  https://www.stitcher.com/show/sportz-boys/episode/episode-39-07-29-1987-85769148  

Speaking of the Packers, you may have heard that Aaron Rodgers reported to training camp.  It's too early to predict if different points of view and animosity can be overcome by a singular focus on winning the Super Bowl.  

I appreciate Rodgers' comments in his opening news conference and believe his competitive nature will act as blinders in the middle of many distractions during camp and through an 17-game season. 

Aaron has said for years that he wanted to play into his 40s and retire as a Packer.  Packer management (like most NFL front offices) would rather say good-bye a year too early than a year too late, but realize a team built to contend for the Lombardi Trophy won't go the distance without him.  

They've reached a détente of sorts.  Until the season ends in February there will be daily speculation and rumors about what will happen.  It's up to Coach Matt LaFleur and team leaders to take things one day at a time.

By the way, that's good advice for all of us, have a great week!

Comments