My Life - Chapter 29 - Cartoons!

While I was growing up Saturday morning meant one thing... CARTOONS!

My parents slept in that one day, so I crept downstairs to turn on the black and white television.  At 6:45, Davey & Goliath started the day followed by The Bugs Bunny Road Runner Hour.  Bugs Bunny was my favorite as that rascally rabbit foiled Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, the Tasmanian Devil and any other film foe in front of him.

Internet image

 After Bugs left the screen, I watched other shows including The Pink Panther, Harlem Globetrotters, Scooby-Doo, and Josie and Pussycats.  

 I don't remember how old I was, but a few times my parents wheeled their TV into my room so I could stay in bed and watch.

 That didn't happen often.  Around our house, I was generally expected to be up and "at 'em" no later than 9.  

The early 1970s were the last decade where most people had few options on TV.  Most folks relied on an over-the-air antennae to pull in the three network affiliates (ABC, CBS, and NBC) and public television. 

The Cartoon Network wasn't a thing or even a thought at the time.  Home recording wasn't a thing as video cassette recorders weren't widely available until the 1980s.  If you didn't watch it when it aired, you missed it.

I doubt kids born in the late 1980s and 90s can imagine a world with three channels or that shows can only be seen when they air.  I wouldn't have believed 500 channels if you told me it was coming during a commercial break on Bugs Bunny, so let's call it even.

To quote the memorable Porky Pig, "Th-th-th-at's All, Folks!"

Comments