Vintage Video - Hold the Horses

 South Dakota has the second-highest number of horses per capita behind Wyoming.

 That wasn't a statistic I knew in the late 1980s, but it explains why in three years of reporting in central South Dakota, I did at least six stories featuring horses.

  That doesn't count the stories I didn't save or include pieces where horses may have appeared but not instrumental to the piece.

The final stories in this video are from the state's Centennial year when I covered a Wagon Train tracing a trail across the state and a one day re-enactment of the Pony Express.

I included a story on a Pet Swap I covered while working at WISC-TV.  While there aren't any horses in that piece, I think several of the people I interviewed would have liked living and working in South Dakota.

Comments