Ride 3 - It's about Time

Just after 5:30 AM, less than 10 minutes
after sunrise.  6/5/2021 (dwm photo)
It made sense to get up early.

The expected high Saturday was in the low-90s and with the sun rise 20 minutes past 5, light crept in through the bedroom window earlier than that.

While I've ridden in extremely warm temperatures, it's nice to beat the heat.  It was a good time to ride.

My timing for my third ride, was way off.  Other than several rickshaw rides on the Oakwood campuses, I hadn't rolled the recumbent out since May 8.

The first few miles felt good.  It was warm and felt like there was no wind.  I should have realized the wind felt light to non-existent because it was at my back!  

I headed north on a county highways and primary roads through Madison and Middleton because the time of day presented light traffic.  Pleasant View Road, especially in Middleton, is two-lanes with no bike lane or paved shoulder, so I avoid it when traffic picks up.

Waunakee was my turn-around point.  I stopped at their new Kwik Trip for a chocolate milk and granola bar to refuel.

I'm glad I did, because as I headed east then south, I felt a brisk wind.  It wasn't gale-force winds, but enough to make me work and drain any downhill momentum.

The second-half of the ride was several ticks slower.  I was home in two hours, fifteen minutes, determined to improve my time and not waste too much of it before I get back on my bike again.

Comments