Purple

Reflection of Victory Field flag.
Indianapolis, Indiana.
6/25/2010 dwm photo
June 3 I updated my Facebook profile photo with a badge that read, "I got my Covid-19 vaccine.  We can do this."

One friend replied, "Thanks, Dave."  

Another wrote, "OK, do we advertise our flu shots? Other vaccines? No."

I replied to the first with a "like" and to the second with, "I think that's a great idea.  Two friends died of Covid and I work around older adults - makes sense for me."

It continues to mystify how our country reached a place where a world-wide pandemic is viewed with skepticism or disbelief by some and with fervent attention to precautions and waiting in line for a vaccine by others.

It's OK if people have questions or decide for medical or religious reasons to turn-down the Covid-19 shot.  I don't understand why political affiliation matters on this issue.  President Trump was vaccinated, although his early down-playing of the issue resonated louder with his base.  

Everyplace I've lived people had differing political opinions.  That's OK.  It's the primary reason our founders came to this country.  

We need less red and blue and more purple!

I think my friend had a point in their post.  We should advertise our other vaccinations because when we take the time to keep ourselves healthy we contribute to the health of our friends and neighbors.  Perhaps sharing the news on social media will encourage others to get one.

I don't work when I'm sick so colleagues and others aren't infected.  We stop at red octagonal signs so we don't crash into other cars and others don't run into us.  

We don't get the shot or refuse the shot because "they" are controlling us... we get the shot because we think its the best course of action for us, our family, and our neighbors.  If you don't agree, I bet my Facebook (and real-life) friend doesn't want the vaccine believes it is the best decision for them.

Elections are increasingly polarized.  One reason is the most fervent supporters turn out in bigger numbers during the primary than others which elects the most liberal or conservative candidate.  We live and associate with people "like" us; we watch programs which mirror our opinions; and we miss hearing or learning what the other side thinks.

That was the purpose of going to college when I was at Drake.  I had professors with different opinions and belief systems and had friends with different backgrounds than mine.  They didn't "convert" or change my opinion, but allowed me to see them as individuals and not a group.

As the old saying goes, "let's walk a mile in our friend's shoes" before rendering an opinion or decision; or simply, "BE PURPLE!"

Comments