My Week That Was - June 5

A Black Necked Crane takes
a swim. 5/29/21 (dwm)
  The week started with a trip to Cranes of the World at the International Crane Foundation near Baraboo.  It was my second trip in a month and another gorgeous day.

  The most surprising bird on our visit was the Black-Necked Crane when it took a swim while I was a few feet away.  It took a step into the pond, then another and another.  I could see its legs and feet through the clear water.  Two more steps and the legs were moving but not touching down.  He was swimming like a duck!

  I thought his look when he got close said, "Didn't think I could do this, did you?"  He's right, that's exactly what I thought.

  The Crane Foundation has returned to regular hours and no longer requires a reservation to pay a visit.

  You can see more Cranes in the June 1 blog.

The weekend was spent with family, the first time since the pandemic began we hosted guests and did things together.  The big trip was to the International Crane Foundation with lots of side trips, games, and even a house project.  It was nice to see them.

The home project officially wrapped up the changes started before the pandemic.  The final touch was replacing the doorknobs on six doors on the first floor so they match the new décor.

I haven't written about the Milwaukee Brewers in a while.  They had a tough stretch of games where they lost more than they won and then turned it around winning 8 of 11 going into their home game June 1.

Our new dishwasher threw a curve at us over the weekend when the support that rolls the dish rack in and out came apart.  A broken piece of plastic kept the rack from moving.  A stop in the store where we bought it led us to a parts and service store.

Monday I bought the necessary parts.  Fix-it projects aren't my thing, but to save the service charge I was determined to get it done.  While my dad or anyone who knew what they were doing might have finished the job in 15 minutes, it took me an hour, but it is working

Wednesday I helped run a table at an 'education carnival' on our east campus.  While it was about letting employees and residents know what the others were doing, the bigger idea was to celebrate life together again.

Thursday I gave rickshaw rides on the west campus for the first time for residents in assisted living.  It was an unprecedented day of rides around campus.  Each ride included an encounter with wildlife.  We encountered three jake turkeys; a young raccoon; a female turkey and her poults; and a mother duck with a half dozen ducklings trailing her across a pond.  It was wonderful.

Friday was a quiet day as I finished calls and signed thank you letters.  After several nice days, it's getting hot.  We are expected to hit the 90s next week.

Have a good one!

Comments