My Week that Was - June 19

It was already toasty at 7 when
I headed out for a 20-mile ride.
6/11/2021 (dwm)
  We finally finished watching The Andy Griffith Show, all 249 episodes.  At this point I don't remember when we pressed play on Season 1, Episode 1 on Amazon Prime Video but we've been at it over the last three months watching up to 4 episodes at a shot.

  While the Covid-19 pandemic isn't over, a lot of life has returned to near normal status, so watching the idyllic TV show set in Mayberry, North Carolina seemed like a good way to usher it in.

  This week also closed out the condo 'refresh' started in February 2020 as we took delivery of a new chair for the living room and upright freezer for the basement.  The chair took months to arrive due to supply-chain issues related to Covid-19.  The freezer did too, but we waited until May to place our order which we were told would come in October.  As a pleasant surprise it was taken downstairs June 15.

  Tuesday was my first day giving rides to residents in our memory care unit.  The weather was perfect and the rides coincided with a special visit by an ice cream truck handing out ice cream cones.  It's difficult to imagine how a day could be better.

Wednesday was split between the two Oakwood campuses, which is a great sign of some normalcy returning.  Pre-pandemic I spent two days at Prairie Ridge during most weeks to visit new residents.  Covid put a kibosh on all in-person visits for more than a year.  Now that I'm able to do them again there isn't enough time to see everyone on the east campus in one-day.  

Since I was driving between the west and east campuses, I stopped at Chick-Fil-A for lunch.  When I ordered I was asked if I had their app on my phone.  I did, which earned me a cookie they gave me on the spot.  When I moved forward to pay, I had a zero balance.  Apparently I had earned a free sandwich thanks to a previous visit... which was a nice surprise.

Another surprise happened at Prairie Ridge.  Staffers are required to masks in common years due to a Health Department decree, so I put it on as I walked from the car and went through the electronic check-in.  When I got to the office I took off my mask and became busy.  Several minutes later I needed the mask and couldn't find it.

I searched the trash, a bag, and several desk drawers.  Where was it?  Later my officemate came in and I asked if I was wearing my mask when I arrived.  "Yes," she said.  As we retraced my steps on arrival, we remembered that she had cleared some of her stuff off my desk when I walked in that she had used while I was gone.  

That's when we solved the mystery.  It turns out my office partner wore my mask to lunch!  Four months ago this would have been a cause for concern, but as we are both fully vaccinated more an amusing case of mistaken maskanity.

Thursday the President signed into law a new Federal Holiday on June 19th or Juneteenth to celebrate the end of enslaving African Americans.  It's the first new holiday since Martin Luther King Jr. Day was established in 1983.  It's a good idea and about time.  

The Broadhead Race - seen in the 
Vintage Video - In the Water episode.
6/18/2021 dwm photo

Overnight we finally received some rain as storms moved through overnight dumping lots of rain in a short-time.  It didn't solve the drought conditions, but it helps.

Friday was a day-off originally planned for an overnight trip, but temperatures topping 100 at our destination led us to postpone the drive to another time.  Instead we took a drive around the area.

When we got to Broadhead I looked up the Broadhead Race, which is a man-made waterway diverting some of the Sugar River to power mills and generate electricity.  I did a story in 1990 about the Race which was facing an uncertain future.

In the Vintage Video feature, I included that the city did receive a grant to make improvements and it was nice to see the biking/walking path and access for kayaks or other small boats.  It's beautiful.

That's my week that was - I hope your next week is wonderful!

Comments