My Week that Was - June 12

Cross Lutheran Church under
construction.  6/5/2021 (dwm photo)
My week started early as I rolled out of bed just after 5.  The forecast said it would be the first day this year to pass 90 degrees, I wanted to get out and get my miles in before it became a sauna.

Just 35 miles and it was my first ride in a month!  There is no excuse for missing time on the bike, but Saturday was the first time since May 8 the time and weather cooperated.

It took me past the site of the church we attend.  I should say, will attend, since it's not ready yet.  After several years renting space in clubhouse, then having no worship in-person because of the pandemic, we are meeting at our mother church in Sun Prairie until the new place is ready.

Looks like we might move in by early fall if the work stays on schedule, we're thankful the capital campaign was successful.  The photo doesn't provide much context.  Our location is in a new subdivision east of Middleton across from Governor Nelson State Park.  There are homes going up and a few already lived in, so we won't be surrounded by fields long.

Monday I headed to Oakwood's east campus for my usual day at Prairie Ridge.  I was there an hour when I realized I forgot my every-other-week Covid-19 test on the west campus.  While the pandemic seems to be waning, the Department of Health requires care facilities like ours to continue regular testing and require staff to wear masks in common areas.  Scattered rain shut down the planned rickshaw rides at Prairie Ridge so I made it back for the "up your nose" test.  The results come back in a couple days.  (I received the negative result Tuesday.)

Tuesday I ordered a new laptop computer.  It replaces the unit I've used for five years.  It bit the dust Sunday and never made it back to the log-in screen again.  By the time this blog goes live I expect to be using it.

Wednesday I attended a funeral for the first time since last March.  It was a larger than any I've been around in some time.  While the occasion was somber, it was good to be together.  One of the largest consequences of Covid-19 was the loss of communal mourning and support from friends and family at a difficult time.  Often we can't do anything more than be there for others, and it felt good to do that.

Thursday it was rickshaw time in the afternoon.  After training colleagues, seven residents lined up for rides.  While it was hot and humid we had a good time cruising around campus.  Unlike the week before we didn't see much wildlife, I think they were staying out of the sun.  There was good news on the Covid testing front when the state announced that vaccinated workers in health care facilities no longer needed to get tested.

My new laptop was ready Friday afternoon.  It has an extra terabyte of memory to hold the pictures separately from the hard drive which should keep its speed up online.

The old one gave me five good years - year one for this model starts today.  Have a great week!

Comments