My Life - Chapter 23 - How We Met

I don't remember what day it was, but I clearly remember the details of when I met my future wife.

It was early 1983, second semester sophomore year at Drake University; I was an intern in the Capitol bureau of KWWL-TV in Waterloo, Iowa.  I'm not sure how I became an intern.  While I had worked in radio more than 4 years, I had no experience as a reporter and hadn't taken a class in TV news reporting.

Rhonda and me at her Senior Prom. May 1983
-----------------------------

My internship was the first time I used a TV camera.  I was a blank slate other than having a keen interest in news and politics.  I worked with Larry Mundt who was KWWL's bureau reporter.  A month or so into my internship, Larry left for a new job.  The station had me continue as the sole reporter the remainder of the semester.

The Iowa Legislature was in session for 100 days, so if they were in session, I was at the capitol.  One day I was standing in the press gallery when a page approached me.  Her name was Rhonda and her badge indicated she was from Center Point.  After a brief conversation she invited me to the "Page's Ball."

I wasn't dating anyone at the time and thought it might be fun to go to the dance, so I said yes.  Then, thinking it would be more fun if it weren't our first date, asked her to come to church with me and then out for a snack at Swenson's Ice Cream Parlor. (It may not sound great, but there was a second date.)

Her parents were at the Ball, which was a fundraising event for some charity (I don't remember which), so I got to meet them as well as dance with my date.

We got along very well and continued dating, including a weekend when I drove from Des Moines to Center Point to attend her Senior Prom.  

It was a long-distance relationship over the summer when she worked in New York City and attended a conference in Washington, D.C.  She enrolled at Central College in August, which was closer to Des Moines than Center Point.

It was somewhere between the Page's Ball and mid-summer that I knew she was the one.

She went home with me that Christmas.  On Christmas Eve, in front of a roaring fire I asked her to marry me after my sister and parents had gone "to bed" mysteriously early for the holiday.

Rhonda said, "Yes."

Comments