Vintage Video - Riding the Rivers

This week's video includes the story I consider to be the highlight of my career.

Canoeing the Niobrara is the longest story I produced, shot, and edited.  

In 1987, TV stations recorded on 3/4" videotape which came in cartridges about the size of a book with enough tape to record for 18 minutes.

I recall using 6 or 7 tapes to record the interview and the trip down the river.  The next day I reviewed the tape and selected the pieces of interviews to tell the story.  Then it was time to write the script around the sound-bites (quotes), get it approved by the editor at the station and begin editing.

The goal was to tell the story about the place and the experience within the framework of floating down the river from start to finish.  I hope you like it.

The first two stories were shot on other rivers.  

The Chief Blackhawk was a dream come true for its owner who gave rides from downtown Fort Atkinson to Lake Koshkonong.  I'm not sure how long it stayed in business, but I couldn't find any reference to it.

The Missouri Trader gave longer cruises on Lake Francis Case which is formed by the Fort Randall Dam on the Missouri River from its home port in Chamberlain.

If you are prone to sea-sickness, you might want to grab a pill before hitting play; I hope you enjoy riding the rivers.

Comments