Vintage Video - Celebrating Elders

This week's edition of Vintage Videos is a collection of stories on older adults.

Now that I work in a continuing care retirement community, one thing that jumps out at me in these stories is the age of the subjects.

One woman I spoke with in the story on Senior Olympics was 59.  At that age, you would be considered a very young member of any senior living community.

The two most memorable of these stories book-end this episode.  

We start in Chamberlain, South Dakota at Sophie's house to hear about her connection to Duncan Hines (you'll see his name on cake mixes in the grocery store) and her pie-making.  As I recall we stayed in her kitchen, I shot video of her making the pie, did the interview while it was baking, and then we ate a piece of pie off camera.

The final piece takes to the air with the man who believed he was the only funeral director who provided a full-service funeral while using an airplane.  He did a take-off and landing for me while I stayed on the ground to get video, then I climbed into the co-pilot seat with my camera while an empty casket and floral display were tucked into the back like he did for an actual service.

I hope you enjoy it.  You can find other episodes of Vintage Video by clicking the link from the homepage.

Comments