My Week that Was - May 8

I started in front, lead the whole distance, and
was first to cross the finish line.  5/1/2021 (dwm)
The week started with the annual Word on the Street run.  It was in-person this year, but set up to allow runners to start any time.

In 2020, it was virtual, meaning they mailed the t-shirt and we ran or walked our favorite distance then shared pictures of the effort.

It was more satisfying to toe the line next to the Verona Public Library though it felt weird to be the only competitor.

When the clock flipped to 8:00:00 AM, I headed up the long sloping hill in Badger Prairie Park, turned right on the Ice Age Trail, then right again on the path along Verona Avenue where I slowed for a drink at the water station hosted by the Fire Department.  

From there it was around the corner and left to the Military Ridge State Trail until it met the Ice Age Trail where a left turn took me back up the hill before closing with a downhill "sprint" to the finish.

My expectations were low given the two hills to climb, and I was pleasantly surprised to finish the 5K in less than 30 minutes.  The strangest sensation was running solo while expecting somebody to catch and pass me; I'm confident that won't happen again.

Hyde Mill.  5/2/2021 dwm photo
  Sunday we drove west to get spring photos of Hyde Mill.

  The valley is turning green.  Leaves are covering bushes and trees and the grass is taking on emerald glow.

  I didn't know the mill even existed until the pandemic forced us out of the house for a weekly drive.  Now I've been there five times, covering all four seasons.

Monday was the first time in more than a year that I made personal visits with donors, wearing a mask, with vaccinated residents in their home.  It was normal, it was personal, and it felt great to have a connection that's hard to get over the phone.

Just a moment... maybe just a second was the length of power blink Tuesday morning while I was picking up something at the grocery store.  The blink happened milliseconds after 'remove your card' appeared on the card reader so my transaction was complete and I was on my way.  The gas station where I stopped to fill the tank wasn't so lucky.  The pumps weren't working and apparently the cash registers wouldn't re-boot as a dozen people waited to checkout.  The Kwik Trip on the west end of town was unaffected by the quick power outage, so I filled the tank and headed into work.

I took time Wednesday afternoon after getting that day's work finished to clean the office.  It wasn't horrible, but since I hadn't recycled anything or put documents in the shredder along the way it was a mess.  I cleared off my desk, file cabinet, book case, and credenza so I could polish the tops, then made decisions on what to keep and what to toss.  It was time well-spent and helped me turn the page from Covid-19 to 2021.

Losses lined up this week for the Brewers.  Prior to this week their longest losing streak was three, it's five after getting swept by the Phillies in Philadelphia.  Then they lost the series opener in Miami to make it six-straight defeats.  They need to turn this around.

Yet another Covid-19 milestone, this one positive.  My wife is two weeks out from her second shot making her fully-vaccinated.  We are marking the occasion by going to an actual church to worship.  That will be a celebration of joy and thanks.

Have a wonderful week!

Comments