Ride One

New since the last time I was on the Badger
is a new solar farm.  4/17/21 dwm photo
   Saturday was my first ride of the season.  While we've had good weather, this was the first time it happened when the bike and I were both ready and available to hit the trail.

   My first stop was the Atkins Bike Shop to purchase a pass to use the Wisconsin State Trails.  At $25, it's a great deal and helps maintain them.

   My other purchase was a new battery for the bike computer and Ken was kind enough to install the battery and recalibrate the computer before I continued the ride.  The shop is in the middle of expansion, but still gets the job done.

From there, I went east on Verona Road to ride the Military Ridge State Trail into Madison.  That trail is closed where it crosses into Madison for construction, but I was able to use a new route to reach the Badger Trail to head south.

I stopped to take a couple pictures near the solar farm on what used to be farm land.  Instead of corn or soybeans, the arrays grow energy.

The Badger State Trail. 4/17/21 (dwm)

The first five miles of the Badger are paved until it crosses Purcell Road where it becomes crushed limestone.  Most riders turn around there.  Until I reversed direction, I was moving quick and easy, then the wind hit.

It was nice to see a lot of bikers out.  There were families, couples, and single riders.  

On these shake-down rides I pay extra attention to how the bike handles and if it makes unusual sounds.  It was a clean bill of health for the bike, but I said, "Morning" to a half-dozen bikers I met, so I was certainly out of practice.

I usually ride in the mornings, but after the first time I misidentified the time of day I should have cleaned it up.  Oh well, something to work on for the next ride.

Comments