My Week That Was - April 10

Trains are just one extra attraction at the Shoebox.
4/3/2021 dwm photo
Another pandemic casualty for me were shoes.  It didn't seem like a good idea to be in a store and in close contact, masks or not last spring, so I kept on wearing them.

My shoes held up well until two weeks ago when the padding on my running shoes broke, causing hard plastic to rub the tendon on my right foot.  I needed shoes.

The only place we bought shoes since returning to Wisconsin is The Shoebox in Black Earth.

The customer service is excellent.  Staff help you find the right fit for the price range you seek.  

I was glad to see steady traffic in the store Saturday morning, everyone in masks, and happy to walk out with two new pairs of New Balance shoes.

The Sugar River winds through
Verona. 4/4/2021 (dwm)
  The next morning the shoes took me along the Sugar River.  I saw a muskrat swimming to its den, but my phone captured only a blurry image.  

  When Easter 2020 was swallowed by the pandemic, I didn't expect live, in-person worship on Easter in 2021 would also be effected.  Our church has been holding in-person services for a while, but until both of us are fully vaccinated we are worshipping virtually. We are getting close to returning and hope to be back by the middle of May.

   Tuesday was election day in Wisconsin.  Locally, we voted for school board candidates, a council seat, judges, county executive, and State Superintendent of Schools.  The only contested races were the State Superintendent, county executive, and schoolerda board.

I applaud those willing to throw their hats in the ring and serve their fellow citizens - we need more people like them.  I also appreciate the volunteers running the polls - including a neighbor of mine - who verified voter identification and processed the necessary paperwork.  If the politicians screaming 'vote fraud' spent time working a polling place themselves they might realize it's the strength of our system, not a weakness.

Yesterday afternoon I joined residents and colleagues in honoring a co-worker on her last day before retirement.  It's the largest group of people I've seen in person in a very long time and nice to be able to congratulate the honoree in person like we used to do such things.

That was my week.  I hope your next week is a good one!

Comments