My Life - Chapter 16 - All - Nighters

The Drake Bulldog in front of the
Drake Diner.  11/1/2019 dwm photo
There are several experiences as we age that can only happen during that time of life.  My primary example is staying up all-night.   I did it several times during college.  At my current age, I might have trouble sleeping, but I don't think I could pull an all-nighter anymore.

Drake was a good experience.  I liked the classes; the independence; late night walks; and hanging out with friends.  

One of my best friends and eventually my best man barely talked to me when we met.  The day we moved in I asked if he wanted to share the cost to rent a dorm fridge.  

He said yes.  I think the next time we talked or even saw each other was two weeks later.  

My friend, Yasin, who you met in Chapter 10, lived down the hall.  One day I passed his room as he was positioning a rug on the floor of his room, trying to figure out which way was east.

Yasin was from Tanzania.  We became good friends.  I learned a lot from him and tried to help negotiate American customs.  One of our adventures was that midnight ride to O'Hare Field. 

A typical day in college including rising early enough to eat breakfast before my 8 o'clock class.  There was a small group that ate together, Kevin and I usually sang "Won't You be My Neighbor?" as we walked to the Olbrich Center.  After classes and some study, I worked each day from 4 to 6 at KDMI with a 9-hour shift on Sunday.

Most nights my roommate, Scott, and I would study until midnight when we ordered a pizza.  That helped us keep going another hour until turning lights out between 1 and 2 am.

Maybe that's why an all-nighter didn't seem so daunting since I was only a few hours shy of one most days of the week.  I guess that's why caffeine was discovered and Mt. Dew was born.

The ultimate all-nighter happened second semester freshman year.  A friend taking Psychology was researching the impact of sleepless nights on reflexes and needed volunteers to stay awake 48 hours.

The first twenty-four hours were pretty routine, although there wasn't much going on between 2 and 5 in the morning.  Strangely, my reflexes improved the longer I was awake.

The second all-nighter in a row was tougher.  The wee-hours were more challenging.  I started seeing things, but made it 48 hours.  However, when the 48 hours were up, I had classes to attend and work.  I recall nearly nodding off at a stoplight on my way to work for my 2-hour shift.

By the time I crawled into bed, I'd been up 72 hours.

The next memorable all-nighter happened shortly after graduation.  I was working at KJJC in Osceola, Iowa as their news/farm/sports director.  Rhonda and I were married January 26, 1985.  I got up each morning at 5:00, showered, dressed and arrived at work 30 minutes later.  After delivering half-hour newscasts between 6 and 8, I drove into town to make the rounds of the Police Department, Sheriff's Department, City Hall, and County courthouse then stopped at home for breakfast.

After a noon newscast and recording a mid-afternoon update, I was done.  But as the only news/sports guy at the station, if there was a meeting to cover or a game to broadcast, I'd head back out.

One evening, I drove to Atlantic, Iowa to cover the Osceola High School girl's volleyball team in the sectional playoffs.  After the match, I called in my report and headed back.  That night the Amtrak derailed after passing through town.

It was after 10 when I got to the scene.  We were the only local station, so when I returned to my office/studio I had local updates to give plus make reports and share sound with ABC radio news.  By the time I was done, it was after 3 and it was then I made the worst decision of our short-marriage.

I decided not to call home (this is pre-text messaging) and wake up my wife, thinking that was the thoughtful thing to do.  Well, it turned out that until I talked into the next morning on the 6 AM news, Rhonda didn't know where I was, or if I was alive.

I didn't make that mistake again and haven't pulled an all-nighter since.

Comments