My Week That Was - March 20

A bluff along the Wisconsin River
near Boscobel.  3/13/2021 dwm photo
   Last Saturday we took a long pandemic drive through Montfort for a quick stop at Rural Route 1 Popcorn (I got Chicago mix), then continued west to a quilt shop near Fennimore, before angling north to beautifully named Boscobel.

   It was a relaxing day for a drive with abundant sunshine.  When we returned home, I settled in to watch some conference tournament basketball while working on future pieces for the blog and indexing my newsreel.

  After years of planning and intending to get it done, converting the old VHS to digital is finished!  

There were nine tapes.  A couple held just one story, while most held anywhere from two to four hours of stories from my time with KELO or WISC.  I'm not watching each story right now; instead I'm getting a sense of the story, trying to place where and when it was shot; and log where it is on each thumb drive.  

I'm happy with what I see.  The video quality is surprisingly good for standard definition and other than a wrinkle or roll here and there, the images are clear and stable. The first one went live Thursday.

Monday dropped snow on the robin's tail.  Two to three inches fell around us, but with a quick warm-up expected, the snow will be gone by the time you read this.

After several months of auditioning for voice-over gigs, I received a call-back.  The next step is doing a specific audition related to the work the company does, then wait to see if I'm selected.  I also made the cut on another job as a finalist, but to this point none of those have led to any gigs.

Binge-update - we are starting season 6 of the Andy Griffith show which means no more Don Knotts and no more black and white as the show started filming in color starting with the 6th season.  We finished the Marvel Universe movies, but a new limited series started this week, "Falcon and the Winter Soldier."  It feels like we're in a committed relationship with these super heroes.

Thursday was a short day in the office.  I worked a few hours Sunday as the campus slowly re-opens the Chapel for distanced church services, I was on hand to help with tech and keep chairs clean.  I got those hours back Thursday afternoon in time to settle in for the start of the NCAA tournament with its first four games.

Friday really felt good because my annual date with 4 days of college ball is back for the first time in 2 years after last year's competition was wiped out by Covid-19.  The first four days have been must-see TV for me since 1988 when I started taking days off to catch the buzzer beaters; upsets; and triumphs.

By the way, as you read this we flipped the season to spring at 4:37 this morning .  When you go back to the homepage you can find the spring post under a picture of daffodils.  Happy Spring!

Comments