My Pandemic Year

A blessing during the Covid Crisis were the
many people who made masks to keep family,
friends, and strangers safer during
the pandemic.
(internet image)
March 17, 2020 was my last in-person donor visit before the pandemic changed things.  I didn't know it at the time, but the day before was my last full-day talking with people face-to-face at our Prairie Ridge campus.

Just six days later, March 23 was my last day in the office.  I packed up my computer and power cord and a few things I thought I'd need over the next several weeks or months, locked the door and left.

It's my 53rd week working mostly from home.  Last July I started working two days on campus making calls and giving rickshaw rides for assisted living residents. Working from home has gone well, but I am looking forward to repurpose my "home" office for "home work."

Losing a full year (and counting) was never more than a passing thought during the first weeks of Covid-19; for me, it was a coping mechanism because I didn't want to look down the road.  While our home in Madison stayed corona-free; others in the family tested positive; we are thankful they came through it in good shape, because many didn't and some survivors will live with the impact of Covid-19 the rest of their lives.

You would hope that an experience like this might have galvanized our nation and the world, sadly, it seems as divided, if not more.  The virus and all of its consequences exacerbated many issues - education, hunger, economic protection, political, and abuse.  

It's more difficult to think of the silver linings among the clouds of covid.  One has see the legions of people who sprang into action making masks at home when demand exceeded supply.  On a lesser scale are the people who finally got that time they were waiting for to clean the basement, re-organize photos, or binge watch comedy shows from the 1980s.

Collectively, our world dropped the ball in preparing for a global pandemic.  Unfortunately, much of that blame rightfully falls on U.S.  2,500,000 people (and counting) died of the disease.

Is it possible we'll take this wake-up call to prepare for other issues on the precipice - climate change; poverty; and social justice?  There are no simple solutions, but we need to work together so the hate-mongers don't divide us.

Now that the end of coronavirus seems in sight, I'm hedging my optimism, hoping work and the rest of life can be more like normal by July or August.  Anything sooner will be PB&J on toast.

Comments