My Week That Was - February 20

A view from my home office.
2/4/21 (dwm)
  This week was (hopefully) the last real cold week of the 2020-21 Winter.  Overnight lows have been below zero most of the last two weeks.

  Warmer days are coming, and while winter isn't over; it seems unlikely we will be yearning for temperatures to reach 10 degrees above zero until next winter.

  Valentine's Day was quiet.  We watched movies, enjoyed a heart-shaped pizza, and munched on snacks.  Yes, there was a dozen roses on the table, they were hardy enough to last a week.

  President's Day was a regular workday.  I do need to spend vacation days rolled over from last year, but between Covid and the extreme cold there didn't seem to be a good reason to use them this month.

  Tuesday was my first trip to the polls since 2019.  Wisconsin voters narrowed the field of 7 candidates for the School Superintendent position to 2.  Unfortunately, the person I selected didn't make the cut.  The final vote for this race will be in May.

Ash Wednesday began the 40-day observance of Lent.  We continue to worship virtually, but thanks to the rate of vaccinations increasing I hope we can get back to church at some point this year.

My opportunities expanded this week when I joined another "pay to play" site called, VO Planet.  After they reviewed my demonstration recordings, I was admitted for a fee (the pay).  In the first week I've auditioned for four jobs(the play).  I'm hoping increasing the number of times I throw my hat in the ring will lead to my first paying job.

Jobs have been steady since getting the home studio set up more than a year ago.  Those jobs have been for fun and to share with Oakwood residents.  The latest was voicing the phone greeting at work and list the options of the phone tree (Please press 1 to reach the...), it went into service on the west campus Monday.

It's the end of my 47th week working mostly from home.  Like millions of other folks, we've been doing our share of binging TV shows and movies.  We're up to the 12th film in the Marvel Movie Universe and ready to start season 5 of The Andy Griffith Show (If you listen close, you can hear the whistle.)

Late Friday, after work, we dropped our stuff with the tax-preparer.  It's a job I did myself before getting into insurance as an employee/contractor which complicated taxes and we turned the job over to a professional who was also a client.

Years later and in a new career with fewer tax issues, I talked with a friend about taxes.  He is a CPA, so he has an obvious bias on the issue, but made a point I'll never forget.  He asked how much attention I gave to changes in tax law.  "I don't," was my reply.  He said that's the point, the job of a professional is to cover all those angles for you so you can focus energy on your job.

It made sense then, it makes sense to me now.

Have a great week, it's getting warmer in Wisconsin.

Comments