Brush with Famous - Henry Aaron

Henry Aaron finished his career with the Brewers
(picture jsonline.com)
I was 11 when I saw Henry Aaron play for the Brewers.  It was a nice book-end to his Hall of Fame career that started as a Milwaukee Brave.

The Braves moved to Atlanta for the 1966 season.  The man who brought Major League Baseball back to Milwaukee, Bud Selig, got him in 1975 to finish his career with two seasons as a Brewer.

His career personified consistency and excellence.  He retired as the all-time Home Run leader with 755.

Career hits is another important mile-marker; 3,000 is a ticket to the Hall of Fame.  If you don't count his home runs, Aaron still has more than 3,000 hits.

20 years later I encountered him again while covering a news conference.  I recall a palpable presence.  The reason for the news conference is long forgotten, but he made a strong impression.  An impression made stronger as I learned the abuse and mistreatment he endured much of his life and most of his career.

Aaron died January 22, 2021.  He is on the short-list of the greatest players of all-time.  Many of his peers and civil rights leaders point to his off the field accomplishments bigger than what he achieved between the white lines.

He made an impression on me and the world in his 86 years. I'm thankful to have seen him on the field and up close.

Comments