My Life - Chapter 2 - Mom

 Each week a different question arrives by email with a question; it's a Christmas gift from our two boys that will wind up as a book.

This week:  What was your mom like when you were a child?

This requires thought.  

What was my mom like?

Mom was nice. Mom took care of me. Mom was tough.  She was home most of the time.  She was busy, though, working many hours as "The Little Dressmaker." She was a full-time volunteer. She loved me.

When was I a child?

For the purpose of this exercise I'll define my childhood as the years I lived at home.  When I headed to college in the fall of 1981, I made my home in Des Moines.  I did visit home several times, but lived in Des Moines year-round.

Dad, Mom, and me.  1967 photo
William and Edith Mossner - I'm 2 or 3 in this photo.

A tradition at St. Paul Lutheran School in Janesville was that the birthday child could bring treats from home to share with their class.  It was a big deal to see a classmate's mom come in near the end of the day with bags under their arm or a tray loaded with goodies.

In first grade mom made chocolate cupcakes - enough for every child and the teacher.  Then she wrote the name of each child with frosting on their mini-cake.  I thought that was pretty cool.  Years later I heard it was also a lot of work which is why it only happened once.

That may have been the year she took me to Madison where she had secured a seat for me in the on-air audience for the cartoon program called Circus 3 with Howie Olson and Cowboy Eddie.

My Dad traveled a lot for work.  When he did, Mom and I went out to eat at sit down places like the Alpine or Mr.. Steak.  It was our thing for many years.

Mom didn't work outside the home while I was growing up but she worked.  As a seamstress, she did alterations and custom work ranging from wedding dresses to swim suits.  I remember customers coming to the house for measurements and to try on clothes.

She was an active volunteer.  She was busy at church as a Sunday School teacher and director of Vacation Bible School plus she was part of the Ladies Aid and Women's Missionary League.  Mom was part of the Hospital Auxiliary and volunteered with the Red Cross.  One summer I remember her making 50 jacket/smocks for volunteers to wear when they helped with Blood drives.

It was probably the fourth grade when I joined Cub Scouts.  It was a mistake, but instead of letting me quit, mom became a den mother.  She was in charge for the year I was a Tiger Cub after which I left the scouts.  I don't think it upset her when it ended.

Before the memory of birthday cupcakes, Mom and Dad were foster parents.  Seven different teen-age girls stayed varying amounts of time with us.  I don't recall their circumstances - some came from troubled homes while others got in trouble, but lower levels of trouble than what might put a kid in the foster system now.

Mom became a good friend of the Judge who oversaw the program over the years and I recall her happiness when learning about one of the girls going on to college or finding employment.

Nancy was living with us when something strange happened.  We were in the kitchen.  Mom was making supper while Nancy set the table.  All of a sudden Mom said, "I'm going to paint," then collapsed.

I guess she said faint, but that's not what it sounded like.  Nancy called an ambulance then called Dad at work.  I remember mom getting help from the medics and taken to the hospital.  I don't think it was anything serious because I don't remember anything beyond her "painting."

Mom grew up on a farm.  Her folks were serious people without much time for fun and games.  Near the end of her life, we talked about it.  She said Dad asked her once why she didn't like to have fun.  She told me about a time as a young girl when she placed mud "pies" on the trailer hitch of a farm wagon.  Her dad wiped them off the hitch and sternly told her there was no time for that.

"Our house" from the time I was
in 3rd grade. 11/9/2013 (dwm)
 A year or two after we moved to a home (photo left) across the fence from our church and school, I was shooting hoops in the driveway when Mom came out.  She took the ball and made a basket on her first attempt.  She smiled and asked if I was surprised.  I certainly was because Mom wasn't an athlete.

 She was an advocate for people in trouble.  She told me about standing up for girls in her class.  She was mom to seven teen-age girls and provided a home to a young woman expecting a child who had no where to turn.  She spent hours working with various not-for-profit organizations.

 Most of all I knew Mom loved Dad.  While not publicly affectionate, they were each other's champion.  Mom supported and took car of Dad and their family.  Together they were part of a regular seminar designed to enhance and build stronger marriages.

 From the special home-made cupcakes way back when, mom made sure there was plenty of family time.  She packed picnic lunches for trips to state parks.  Mom supported and encouraged us in whatever activity we did.

While she wasn't "warm and fuzzy," she made sure that when I was on the "B" basketball team at St. Paul Lutheran that I ate supper early enough that I could fully participate in our 5:00 pm practices.  I remember those early evening suppers coincided with "Gilligan's Island" reruns I watched while eating.

Mom gave me freedom.  By the time I was in 5th grade, my friend and I went on long bike rides around town or hopped on the city bus for a trip to the mall.  Until I went to high school in 9th grade, I walked home for lunch everyday which Mom had waiting when I walked in the door (she also had a coffee can full of Oreos that I'd pack into my pocket for the walk back).

What was mom like?  That's what she was like.  She may not have been big on hugs and kisses, but there was no doubt my mom loved me.

Comments