My Week That Was - Jan 23

From a hill on Enchanted Valley Road.
1/16/2021 dwm photo
Waking up Saturday morning there was a fresh coating of snow on the ground which enticed us to get in the car for a ride in the country.

My wandering led us to Enchanted Valley Road.  The name fits as twists and turns run down one hill and up the next.  

Just beautiful (photo right)!

It was a wonderful game by the Green Bay Packers as they beat the Los Angeles Rams 32 - 18 with nearly 9,000 fans in Lambeau.  It sounded louder than that, and I bet for the team after hearing nothing but crickets and canned crowd noise all season  that it gave them a shot in the arm.

L.A. has the #1 defense for the regular season and two outstanding players in defensive lineman Aaron Donald and cornerback Jalen Ramsey.  While Donald played hurt, neither was a factor as the Packer offense (#1 in the regular season) ran free and easy.  The running game set the tone, the defense played well, and quarterback Aaron Rodgers directed a masterpiece.  They get to play at home tomorrow, a win and they head to Tampa for Super Bowl LV.

You may have noticed a mood change Wednesday.  As I watched the Inauguration I felt it as the President discussed unity; the importance of truth over lies; and civil discussion on divisive topics.  I felt it in "Amazing Grace" sung by Garth Brooks and in the incredible reading of "The Hill We Climb" by Poet and author Amanda Gorman.  (Follow this link to the poem and video of the reading.)

Where a skinny Black girl
descended from slaves and raised by a single mother
can dream of becoming president
only to find herself reciting for one

President Biden won't cure all the ills or heal all the wounds, but lowering the temperature in the room is a good place to start.

It's possible I'll receive the Covid-19 vaccine with colleagues in two weeks if enough doses are delivered to campus, I sure hope so.

Friday I gave blood.  It was unlike any of my previous donations.  After the normal routine of questions and health checks, I was given a nice elevated cot to recline on while phlebotomists prepared the bags and tubes to receive the blood.

I was introduced to a person early in her blood-taking career.  Before I knew she was new, I let her know that my veins were known to roll a bit.  When I saw her reaction, I was sorry I said anything especially when she stuck me and I knew it wasn't in.  The trainer checked, determining it wasn't something she could fix by moving the needle.  That was it. They cleaned me up and put a bandage over the wound, wrapped it and sent me to the canteen.  (Visits that end without a full pint are counted as a full visit once the donor is approved for the donation.)

While I was finishing a bag of mini Chips Ahoy cookies another supervisor asked me to come back so they could draw blood for some tests.  That was a first.  As we walked over they said they would use my right arm this time.  It didn't take long and I returned to the canteen, then home, finally feeling like I usually do when I go to the Red Cross.

If you're eligible, please give blood.  Every pint can help up to three different people.

I hope you have a great week!

Comments