Radio Roseville - Chapter 36

With finding their new home and finding buyers for their current ones behind them; Pete and Jean concentrated on the final details of their rehearsal dinner and wedding. 

The dinner was upstairs at Gus & Tom’s.  It was going to be crowded.  Jean had 75 people coming from her family.  Pete’s surviving family members were coming plus his extended radio family, including the pastor and his wife, there were 100 expected. 

Pete spent the morning hanging out at the station finalizing the schedule and meeting with Ken to see how he was feeling after a week in the studio. 


Jean called Gus to finalize the details for the dinner and coordinate the dessert delivery from Karen’s Kandies.  She hoped to take an hour after lunch to sit quietly and read while cousins dropped by the farm on their way to the hotel. 


Pete stopped for lunch at the new town diner.  It was a short walk from their new home, so he hoped it could become a place to stop on weekend mornings or get something on his way to work. 


He ordered a burger and chocolate malt.  After taking a picture of the burger with the malt and the tin of extra malt next to it, he sent the photo and a text. “Looks like I found a place for our weekly date nights!” 


Jean had just finished a ham and cheese sandwich and was cleaning up when her phone buzzed.  She replied with a smiley face and “C U later.” 


At 5:30, Pete drove up the gravel drive to the porch on the Marberg farmhouse.  Jean was waiting for him, getting up as he approached.  She was wearing a muted teal dress with a bright copper/orangish scarf.  Pete waved as he came to a stop, then hopped out to come around and open the door for her.  “Here we go, Jean.  You look beautiful.  All set?” 


“You look pretty good yourself,” she replied. “the blue blazer works with the lighter shirt, may I ask who is taking care of your wardrobe these days?” 


“Ah, there’s this woman I met.  She said if I wanted to be seen with her, I had to step things up in the clothing department.” 


Both laughed as Pete backed up and headed out the drive. 


The street and parking lot behind Gus & Tom’s was half-full when they drove past on the way to church.  It was just the wedding party meeting at Grace Lutheran Church for rehearsal.  Pete, Jean, Emjay and Jake Bauer; Elaine Marberg; and Kevin Storm waited briefly as the Reverend opened the doors and turned on the lights. 


Thirty minutes later, the group drove downtown to join their friends and family. 


Gus and Tom were overseeing the dinner for Jean and Pete.  The four were long-time friends and this event was one of the largest the brothers were able to host as Covid restrictions began to loosen.  They were thrilled their friends chose them for the dinner when they easily could have taken it someplace else. 


The dinner included a selection of pizzas and pasta dishes after the soup and salad courses were served.  


The dessert created by Karen for the evening were 15 Bundt cakes, one for each table, decorated with multi-color frosting and design related to either Jean, Pete, or both. 


After dinner, Ken Records made his way to the podium concentrating on what he wanted to say.  He didn’t notice a hush come across the room, but from the corner of his eye he saw people standing and then heard applause.  He wasn’t sure what was going on as he stood behind the podium until he looked at Pete who had a tear running down his face.  ‘They’re applauding me.” he realized.  A smile crossed his face as he motioned for them to sit. 


“Well, thank you very much.  If you applaud watching a guy walk to the podium, I’m sure tonight’s speakers are now much less nervous. 


“We’re celebrating tonight with Jean Marberg and Pete Moss on their last night as individuals. Tomorrow they become a couple.  Our first speakers have known Jean their entire lives. Please welcome Emjay Bauer and Elaine Marberg.” 


“Thank you, Ken. Thank you everybody,” Emjay began. “My sister and I missed our mom’s first wedding, so we’re glad to be here.  Our mom is strong, confident, kind, generous, and compassionate.  Oh, she was strict when it was called for, but she’s a great woman. 


“I’ve known Pete for several years and gotten to know him well since joining him at the radio station.  Pete, I’m sure you know how lucky you are to marry my mom.  The two of you make a great couple and I’m thrilled for you both.  You made her happy again and are the light of her life.  Congratulations.  In the interest of equal time, my sister and co-Maid of Honor, Elaine Marberg.” 


“Thanks, Emjay.  I don’t know Pete as well as Emjay does. But I know this. The night I was kidnapped, Pete worked closely with law enforcement and got in a car with my brother-in-law that night looking for me.  They were there moments after I walked into the arms of the State Troopers and brought me home.  If it wasn’t for Pete, the station, and the coordinated work of the sheriff’s department – thanks for coming tonight, Sheriff – I'm not sure I’d be here. 


“Mom, I’ve seen you light up since you started dating Pete.  You and Dad had the kind of marriage I always dreamed of.  Emjay and I were lucky to have you as parents.  It’s a good thing to walk through life together and I wish you and Pete many years of happiness.” 


Kevin Storm stood as the applause died down and made his way to the mike.  “Good evening. Nice job ladies, you’re a tough act to follow.  Pete’s been a friend since we got out of college.  The loss of his wife was a cruel end of an ideal marriage and a tough blow for Pete.  He recovered from the loss, but it wasn’t until he started dating Jean that I had my old friend back. 


“Jean, you are an awesome woman, and Pete has out-punted the coverage by miles.  I watch the two of you when you’re together and your love for each other is obvious.  That will help you negotiate adversity and abundance.  The strong faith you share will continue to be your guide. I wish you and Pete all the best.  To Jean and Pete!” 


The guests again stood, their applause loud enough it was heard on the street. 


There's only one chapter left, catch up by following the link.

Comments