End of the Biking Season

From my 1st ride in 2020.
5/2/2020 dwm photo
Today's blog has to start with a "Happy Birthday" greeting to my sister; while the candles are starting to accumulate she remains far behind me.  I hope you have a wonderful day.

When the year started I planned to get out and ride a lot.

Just like every other year, though, I suspected the reality would be more quality than quantity.

When Covid-19 hit I started working from home and stopped going to the gym; my plans changed dramatically.

It took a week to figure out a home routine for exercise and work.  I continued getting up early, but with no drive to the gym there was more time to workout.  

In March and April, I exercised twice a day - an aerobics routine in the morning and a three mile run in the afternoon.  After cleaning up each morning, I ate breakfast and was at my desk by 7:15 just like usual.

As it the sun started rising earlier, I combined the two, starting with a run followed by the aerobics.  Every third day, weather permitting, I got on the bike.  If that third day fell on a weekend, I stretched the usual 15 or 20 mile ride into a trip 30 miles or father.

The final stretch riding into New Glarus on
the last ride. 10/11/20 dwm photo
My riding season is most likely over, but what a season it was.  I rode 45 times clocking more than 1,120 miles.  That's the most rides and miles since I resumed riding 18 years ago!  In this turned-around world we're living in, I recognize if they gym stayed open and I wasn't taking Coronavirus pre-cautions by exercising at home, I don't hit that mark.  

When the gym was open, I almost never missed a day.  As it turned out, I worked out more and longer from here.  I will resume working out at the gym at some point.  But, I learned it's not critical to be at my desk 45 minutes early and it makes sense to use that time to stay in shape.

It was a great year to ride.  I generally ride alone, so it's a good physically distant sport, and thanks to the pandemic lockdown I know how to crank out the miles again in 2021.

Comments