Radio Roseville - Chapter 34

Vicki's small plane landed in Ironwood, Michigan at the Gogebic – Iron County Airport a few  minutes late.  After collecting her stuff, she stepped down the short stairway to the tarmac and headed to the terminal where she found Jack Jackson holding a small sign that said, “Welcome Vicki.”  

 “You must be Jack, Hi, I’m Vicki James.”  

“Welcome to Ironwood, Vicki. How was your flight?”  

“Well, I’m here and the leaves were beautiful.  I don’t think I’ve ever been on plane that small before, it was almost like I was flying the plane.” 

“It does take some getting used to, but its faster than driving here from the big cities.  Are you ready to go?” 


“Yeah, let’s go.” 


---- 


Connie Temple had to adjust her hours to accommodate all the delivery orders coming into Karen’s Kandies.  In fact, the shop used the name bestowed by a couple of customers, COVID-rations.  The shop was up to 6 orders of COVID-rations a day and twice as much on Sundays.  Connie came in early to help her boss get the orders together. 


“Connie, you know it’s been more than six months since you started working for me, and I want to thank you.  I don’t know if we would still be open if not for these rations of yours!” 


“Thanks, Karen.  I’m glad it’s worked for us.  These little deliveries of joy are making a difference wherever we go, too.  You should come along some time.  The smiles and tears are overwhelming.  Your home-made pastries are an important lifeline.” 


“That’s the first time someone’s called my cinnamon roll with cream cheese frosting a lifeline!” Karen and Connie laughed as they started pouring coffee. 


---- 


Emjay had the day off so she and Jake could take little John to the doctor for his check-up.  Then the three were going to her mother’s; although Emjay wasn’t sure what this visit is all about. 


While the young family was pulling into the parking lot at the clinic, Jean was getting in her car after picking up some goodies at Karen’s so there would be something on the table when her grandson and his parents came over. 


At 10, Jean saw a flash on the dining room wall caused by the sun reflecting off the windshield of Jake’s car.  She headed to the door, anxious to see John and talk to the kids. 


“Hi John. Hi Emjay. Hello, Jake.” 


“Hi mom.” said Emjay as she set John’s car seat on the dining room table before removing her coat knowing her mom would take care of John the rest of the visit. “Jake, mom has fresh coffee, want some?” 


“Yes, please.  Thank you, mom.” 


“You’re welcome.  Let’s sit down in the kitchen.  It’s the warmest place in the house.  I don’t want to turn the furnace until I have to.” 


“Mom, you know Dad’s not around anymore.  If you’re cold turn on the heat.” 


“That’s OK, dear.  Your dad and I always liked to see how long we could go before turning on the furnace.  It’s going to warm up this afternoon anyway.  How did things go at the doctor?” 


“Well,” Jake said. “The doctor said he is at or above average on all the measurements.  He’s growing nicely and seems to be on course with everything.” 


“Great.” Jean paused a moment, “Kids, I’d like to ask you something.  I know you like your apartment, but I was wondering how it fits?” 


Emjay and Jake looked at each other, wondering why she asked. “Mom, it’s fine.  It will be too small soon, but we can afford it, it’s not far from work; and it’s in a good neighborhood. Why?” 


“Well, Pete and I were talking about where we wanted to live after the wedding, and we decided instead of moving into one of our current homes; we want to get a new place.” 


“Mom! Are you going to sell this place?  I don’t know if I’m ready for that.” 


“Well, I’d like to sell it to you.” 


Jake and Emjay didn’t know what to say.  Finally, Jake broke the silence, “Mom, we’re doing fine, but I don’t think we can afford the family farm.  Thanks for offering it to us.” 


“Jake, I’m sorry, that’s not what I meant. I mean, if you are interested, I will sell it to you.  I don’t need to sell it for what it’s worth, because keeping it in the family is more important.  After talking to the accountant, there is a way I can give you a portion of the farm, so you have some equity and set up a payment plan with you.  You’ll pay me, but it will be something you can handle.” 


Emjay wiped away a tear. “Mom, that’s amazing. We were just talking last night about what you might do with this place someday.  I just hoped I could visit occasionally.” 


“Well, I want you to do more than that.  Is it OK with you if I set an appointment for us with the lawyer to get things going?” 


“Yes! Thanks.” 


“Good.  Why don’t you guys get something to eat, I’m going to show John around his new home.” 


---- 


The light on Pete’s phone was red when he walked into the office.  The first message was from the realtor. 


“Hi Pete. This is Tonya.  The first two showings went great.  I expect you will get at least one offer.  There are two more showings today and there are more who want to see it.  Oh, I have three places on the Rose River for you and Jean to look at, let me know when it’s convenient and I can show you around.” 


“Pete, this is Jean. The kids just left.  They are excited about moving to the farm.  I can’t wait to tell you more about it.  Love you, bye.” 


“Hi Pete, it’s Vicki.  I’m flying back tonight and will be back at the station tomorrow.  Can you set up a time for us to talk?  It’s important.  Thanks, bye.” 


Catch up with the Radio Roseville story, by clicking here.

Comments