Radio Roseville - Chapter 30

Several days had passed since Dr. Maxwell Straw talked to his friend and colleague, Ken Records.  As an on-call staff member at the Rose County hospital, he was able to check on him and was thankful to see reports were finally going in the right direction. 

Hello, Ken, how are you?”  

“Hi, Max.  I’m feeling a little better, but that doesn’t say much.  I don’t think I could walk to the bathroom right now.” 

“Ken, that’s perfectly normal according to what I’ve read.  The doctors have kept you hydrated and will start increasing your protein which should help you recover.  Are you staying awake for longer stretches?” 


“Long enough to know you need me with you on the air my friend.” 

Max laughed, “You’re right about that, Ken, but first I want you feeling better.  If you stay on track, I think you could be home by the end of the week.” 


“Thanks Max, I appreciate hearing that; it gives me something to shoot for and I would love to get out of here.” 


“Do what the doctor says, Ken.  Are you able to walk the halls very much?” 


“Oh yeah at least three times a day and my caregiver is making me walk a little farther every day.  She’s a good one, encouraging and compassionate with a backbone of iron.” 


“All the good ones I’ve ever worked with can be described just that way.  I’ll check on you tomorrow, Ken, take care.” 


“Thanks, Max, bye.” 


--- 


Behind Jean Marberg’s home is a large Oak tree.  She was sitting under it with a book and a cup of coffee when she heard the familiar sound of tires on her gravel driveway.  She couldn’t see who it was, and no one would see her from there, so she waited to see if it was a stranger or someone who would know to look behind the house. 


“Hello Jean?  Are you in back?” 


Jean smiled, “Hi Pete, I’m under the tree.” 


Moments later Pete walked around the corner of the house with a bag that appeared to be from Karen’s Kandy shop.  After setting the bag on the small table between two Adirondack chairs he leaned over to kiss her. 


“To what do I owe the pleasure, Mr. Moss?” 


“I wanted to see you and since I was hungry and didn’t want to overeat, I hoped I could talk you into sharing one of Karen’s cinnamon rolls.?” 


“That would be nice, can I get you something to drink?  I’ve got a Diet Dew in the fridge.” 


“No thanks, I just finished one in the car.  Her’s your half and I have a napkin for you too.”  He sat in the chair on the other side of the table, “I’m sure you and your girls have everything under control for the wedding, but since it’s just two weeks away I thought I better see if you need anything?” 


Jean laughed as she finished taking a bite of the roll.  “Thanks for asking, Pete.  I think we have everything in pretty good shape, but I’ve left all the groom’s stuff, including details about your groomsmen up to you.  How’s that going?” 


“Well, I’m glad we’re going with suits instead of tuxedos, since there are only two guys it’s not very complicated.  I’m having a hard time thinking what to do about a gift for them.  Are you doing anything for your maid of honor and brides’ maids?” 


“You know, I am.  I want something nice, not too expensive, and hopefully meaningful.  What if we got all of them a memento that was nice and didn’t scream wedding gift for the rest of their lives?” 


“That’s a good idea.  What about a clock, picture frame, or a bar-b-que set?” 


Jean laughed.  “I can’t give my girls a bar-b-que set, but yes, that’s the idea.  I’ve seen some nice clocks set in old growth lumber.  I’ve got some aged wood from this tree we’re sitting under in the shop, why don’t I check on that tomorrow and let you know what it costs?” 


“That’s a good idea, Jean.  Any pre-wedding jitters?” 


“Not on your life, Pete.  I can’t wait.”  She walked over to Pete’s chair, sat on its arm and gave him a long kiss.  

Comments