My Week That Was - Sept 26

 

It's likely more people will vote while not
going to the polls. 9/22/20 dwm photo
The week started with a ride on the Grand Sauk Trail.  It's a new path with plans on the book to extend to the north and south.  For now, it's nearly 10 miles of smooth asphalt from Sauk City to the northeast corner of the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area.

Sunday was my birthday.  After church I was going to take a ride before the Packers played at noon.

The rear tire wasn't seated inside the rim properly, so I fixed it.  The problem came when I was put the wheel back on the bike a caliper for the rear disc brake fell out.  I had no idea how to re-install it.

I didn't want to force it and break the brake, so I waited for the bike shop to open.  They took care of it in minutes.

When I started working on the bike, I had my water bottle, wallet, camera, and phone.  They were on the ground while I was working on the bike.  By the time the bike was ready, it was too close to game time.

Just before the game, I looked for my phone.  It wasn't in the car I used to haul the bike to the shop.  It wasn't in the other car we used to haul the bike to Sauk Prairie the day before.  It wasn't in the basement, the bedroom, or anyplace in the living room.  I mentally re-traced my steps, but couldn't find it.

Green Bay won its home opener in front of 80,000 empty seats in impressive fashion, rolling up 42 points thanks to the two Aarons - Rodgers and Jones - who carried and passed the football in great style throughout the day.  Interestingly, it's the first time since the Packers first season (1919) when they scored more than 40 against their first two opponents.

When the game ended, I opened up Google to search for my phone.  I had it ring for 5 minutes while re-searching the condo, garage, and cars.  Nothing.  I secured the phone via Google and put a message on the screen asking the finder to call my work number.

I left a message at the bike shop to see if I left the phone there, and decided I'd order a replacement Monday if it didn't turn up.  

Monday came and still no phone.  After a donor visit and other work, I ordered a replacement phone.

Just 90 minutes later, I received a voice mail from the Post Office.  Someone found my phone and put it in a nearby mailbox for safe-keeping.  I assume it was the mailbox that is shared by all the condos.  The voice message asked me to call the post office to identify it. I picked it up soon after.

I was able to cancel my order for the replacement and get my money back.  The once lost phone is fine and order restored.

Little things like losing a phone or forgetting why you walked into a room make me wonder.  "Am I losing it?"  "Why can't I remember?"  Add in it was the same day another candle was atop the cake in a formation resembling flames out west, and it's a cause for concern.

Yet prayers were answered and it was a blip on the radar, something I may remember on future birthdays.

Dropping off my ballot.
9/22/2020 (dwm)
My absentee ballot arrived in the mail last week.  I voted, had my signature witnessed, then dropped it in the box at city hall ready to count on Election Day.

Just a few states allow officials to begin counting absentee votes before election day; Wisconsin isn't one of them.  Because of COVID-19, many more are expected to vote without going to the polls - if we can't begin the count early the results will be delayed.

It seems obvious that counting should happen as long as there are clear laws forbidding releasing counts in advance.  Many states already do.

Apex Carnivores are on display at the Verona Library through October 28.

Artic Wolf. 9/24/20 (dwm)
There are Artic, Red, Eastern Timber, and Great Plains wolves on display which track the animal its conflict and restoration when it comes to the ultimate apex predator - humans.  It's an interesting showpiece which provides a taste of information designed to inspire research and further reading.
 
I run past the library each morning, their silhouettes on the glass is both frightening and awe-inspiring.

Great Plains Wolf.
9/24/20 (dwm)
As Europeans settled across the continent, the wolf population dropped to zero in many places, including Wisconsin.

After getting placed on the endangered and threatened lists, small packs were reintroduced in the woods of north Wisconsin.  They've come back in strong numbers.  Elk, which were reintroduced to north Wisconsin years ago, are prey for the wolf, which helps control the herd.

They are fierce creatures, but generally not a threat to humans unless they've gotten used to us.  Wolves don't threaten livestock unless their natural prey or hunting grounds are taken away.  States with strong wolf populations generally have programs to compensate farmers for losses caused by wolves.

All in all, it's been a wonderful week of weather, let's see how week two goes.  Have a good one!

Comments