Radio Roseville - Chapter 26

“Welcome back, I’m Ken Records joined by Dr. Maxwell Straw for your daily COVID-19 update.  Max, it seems almost silly to ask about flu shots when the world is still under attack by the coronavirus, but is that still important?”
  
“Good morning, Ken.  In fact, getting a flu shot may be more important than ever.  Because the flu and the virus are out there, it’s easy to think of the flu as routine because we talk about it every year.  But, if a person with the flu comes down with COVID-19 or vice-versa, that could be deadly.  

“I recommend getting your flu shot and double check your vaccinations because you don’t want both.” 


“Thanks, Doc.  What can you tell us about the virus?” 


“Any reports of it disappearing during the warm months were wishful thinking.  While Rose County isn’t requiring masks yet – I strongly recommend them as a simple and effective way to protect yourself and others.  Here in Rose County, we had 43 new cases last week.  The reports I’ve seen indicate two people were hospitalized.  If the symptoms are mild, patients are likely going to ride it out.  But please, don’t think of this as the common cold.  Those symptoms are known to hang around for more than two months.  Which is why I'm asking you to wear a mask if you are inside with people you don’t live with.” 


---- 


“Hello, this is Pete.” 


“Oh, it is, is it?  That’s good to know.  How are you?” 


“I’m good, Jean. How are you?” 


“Fine, thank you, but I’m hungry.  Are you available for dinner?” 


“Let me check,”  Pete flipped the papers on the desk and popped open the calendar on his smart phone, “Yes. Yes, I am.  What were you thinking?” 


“I was thinking I want to see you and since we have to eat anyway, why not do that together.  If you don’t mind picking up an order I made with Gus and Tom’s, I’ll meet you at the Rose County Park for a picnic.” 


“That sounds outstanding, Jean.  Thank you. I can’t wait to see you.” 


---- 


Vicki James and Kathy Jones were talking about the semi-final games in the WRSEries in the make-shift meeting room/outdoor patio on the south side of the station. 


“Kathy, I think we should have Ladysmith play Denmark in the first game with Cadott versus Roseville in the nightcap. Jim tells me the games are sold-out in terms of ads and we have businesses downtown scrambling to show the games on screens downtown.  In fact, Gus and Tom’s wants to host the pre-game and post-game coverage for the last three games.” 


“That’s great news, Vicki.  I’d like you to call the first game tomorrow with Coach Suter.  Pete and I will call the second game.  For the championship game Thursday, we’re going to alternate innings between the four of us.” 


“That’s cool.  Thank you, Kathy.  I know the games aren’t real, but the competition is and I think calling games this way is only going to make all of us better.  I’m having a blast.” 


----- 


By mid-afternoon, Ken was exhausted.  He chalked it up to being extraordinarily busy for more than a month – working nearly 7 days a week and coordinating distribution of the show he and Max were doing in addition to their regular program. 


He took a big bite of the ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, then reached for the hot mustard to add flavor. 


After a couple of bites, he took a drink of water when he realized he didn’t notice any of the typical bite he expected from his favorite condiment. 


He grabbed the phone and typed a quick message to Dr. Straw. “Max, FYI – I'm not tasting anything during lunch.  Probably paranoid, but do you think I need a test?” 


Dr. Straw saw a flash on his phone’s screen.  He read the message, took a breath, and punched out a reply.  “Yes, Ken, right away.  Start thinking about who you’ve been in contact and where you’ve been lately and wear a mask.  I’m heading over to the fairgrounds now and I’ll find you after you get tested.” 


Ken sighed.  He typed OK, then put on his mask and headed out the door.  He was glad his day was over so he could leave without a bother. 


At the Rose County Fairgrounds, Ken drove up to the testing station.  He showed his I.D. then answered health questions before he was asked to lean his head against the seat rest for the procedure. 


This was his first time getting the actual COVID test, but in an instant, he knew everything he heard and read about it didn’t begin to capture the sheer discomfort.  He wondered if his brain might be injured. 


“Thank you for coming in sir, you should get your result in a day or two, however, based on your temperature and other symptoms, we want you to go to the hospital now.” 


“Uh, do I drive myself?” 


“No sir, please park your car and we’ll get you over there right away.” 


“Thank you.  Dr. Max Straw was going to meet me here, can you let him know what’s happening?” 


“We will, Mr. Records.  Good luck.” 


----- 


Pete had a lot on his mind when his phone alarm reminded him it was time to head to Gus and Tom’s and pick up the food for his picnic with Jean. 


When he got in the car, he hit her number on speed dial. 


“Hi, Pete! Are you on your way to get our dinner?” 


“Yes, I am Jean, just want to let you know I’m on my way.” Pete paused a couple seconds, “Ah, Jean? I need to let you know, I just heard that Ken is on his way to the hospital.  He may have the virus.” 


Jean felt her breath catch in her throat, “Oh, I’m sorry Pete.  What can I do?” 


“There’s not much any of us can do now.  We’re going to get everyone at the station tested tomorrow.  

When you stopped by the station yesterday, did you see Ken?” 


“Yes, I did.  He seemed fine to me.” 


“Well, you’re going to need a test, too.  The silver lining there is we were both exposed so we can still meet for dinner.  Think about who you’ve seen over the last week and of course, you know to stay isolated.” 


“Oh boy.  I will, I’m glad you can come over, I don’t want to be alone.” 


“Me too, Jean.  I’ll get there as soon as I can.” 


Click this link to catch-up with the Radio Roseville story.

Comments