My Week That Was - August 24

The flat is on the ground, the rear wheel ready
to get back on the road. 8/22/20 dwm photo

Sunday morning, after online church services, I went on a ride.  The plan was to circle Lake Mendota by heading north, then east across the top of the lake, down the eastern shore to the isthmus where I could ride south before heading home.

It was a nice day for a ride for the first 13 miles when it suddenly felt mushy.  I had a flat tire.

My mechanical skills are marginal at best.  But as a former Bobcat level Cub Scout, I was prepared.  Inside my bike bag were tools and a replacement inner tube.  A hand-pump is attached to the seat.

Just a short distance from the entrance to Governor Nelson State Park is where I stopped.  Cars whizzed past as I got the tools and tube lined up, I loosened the quick-release and took off the wheel.  It didn't take long to find the puncture.  It was a small nail or half of an industrial staple pierced through the tire and tube.

I took my time.  The most difficult is getting the wheel in place while supporting the bike's weight, but once it was secure and the wheel spun freely, it was time to put away the gear and ride.  

A kind and thoughtful
gesture. 8/22/20 (dwm)


  Lucky for me, a convenience store a mile up the road allowed me to clean up and double check everything was good to go.  I bought a Twix bar for personal fuel.  The repair took 30 minutes, which is longer than it takes most folks but, I didn't have to do anything twice, so I'll take that as a win.  20 miles later my problem wasn't air, but water.

 You would think I got a bottle of water at the store, but I didn't.  When my water supply dried up, there were no stores.  Which is when I came across an ice chest next to the road (photo left).  

  It was filled with water and sports drinks, free for the taking.  After emptying   one into my bottle I raised the bottle toward the home as a gesture of thanks for being there when I needed it.

Only one day of rickshaw rides this week as it was too hot Wednesday.  It was a good call, as it was in the 90's with high humidity. 

Bridge over or ford/wade across the creek in
Pheasant Run Conservancy. 8/22/20 (dwm)

The political conventions are finished, we have roughly two months until the election.  

President Trump v. Vice-President Biden.  

It seems unlikely there are many undecided voters.  In past elections, I considered both major candidates and found points of agreement with each.

Not this time.  While it seems clear to me, I'm sure there are those who disagree with my choice, but feel equally sure.

Assuming the red and blue states retain their color, the election will be decided by the results in three or four states.

Make sure you're registered and have a plan to cast an early/absentee ballot or are ready to get to the polls on election day.  It's sad and unacceptable to deny or hinder citizens from voting.  In our republic, it's best when all of We the People exercise their right to vote.

Comments