Radio Roseville - Chapter 23

“Hello, this is Pete.”   


“Morning, Pete.  How are you?” 


“Good Morning, Jean.  I’m O.K., things are going great here in Michigan.  How are you?  Any word from Emjay?” 


“She and Jake called 10 minutes ago; they went to the hospital just before 5.  They are waiting for the doctor; her contractions are 5 minutes apart.” 


“Are you going up?” 


“No.  Jake will call when the baby arrives, and then I’ll go.  At least that’s what we talked about.  If they want me to come up sooner, I’m glad to hang out in the waiting room.” 


“Makes sense.  Let me know what happens, OK?” 


“You might be able to hear my shouts for joy without a phone, but I’ll call anyway.” 


“Thanks, Jean.” 


------ 


Kevin was eating breakfast in the hotel lounge when Pete walked in wearing a big smile. 

“Good morning, Pete.  How are you?” 


“Fine, Kevin, I just talked to Jean.  Emjay is in labor.” 


“Wow, that’s great.  Before we head over to the station, do you have any strong feelings about where we start?” 


“Well, I think we should talk to the on-air folks and the office.  Heck, we should ask the clerk and the manager of the hotel here what they think about the station.” 


“That’s a good idea, Pete.  I think I saw the manager earlier; I’ll go talk to her.  Can I meet you at the car in 30 minutes?” 


“See you then.” 


----- 


“Time to push, Emjay.  Count down from 20; 19, 18, 17...” 


“You’ve got it.  Big push.  Right now.” 


A gasp, a cry, grunt, and a sharp inhale later, Dr. Noel looked up at Emjay. 


“Emjay, congratulations.  Let me introduce you to your baby boy.” 


“Doctor, his name is Robert John Bauer.  Welcome to our family, Robert.  Jake, please call mom and tell her about her grandson.” 


Jake leaned over to kiss his wife and mother of his son, then left the room. 


“Hello?” 


“Hi, Grandma.  It’s Jake,” 


“Oh, my.  Is everyone OK?  Is Emjay OK?  How about the baby?” 


“Everyone’s fine, mom including Robert John.” 


“Robert John!  That’s great, congratulations.  Is it OK if I come up this evening?” 


“You better, mom.  Robert can’t wait to meet you.” 


Catch up on the rest of the Radio Roseville story by clicking here.

Comments