Radio Roseville - Chapter 22

Emjay woke up, rolled over to check the time, it was 1:45 AM.  Too early to get up, she closed her eyes and was consumed in a wave of pain unlike anything she’d ever felt. 

“Jake, get up.” 


There was movement in the bed, but Jake was still sleeping. 


“JAKE. Get up.  Now! 


“What’s wrong, honey?” Jake asked as he rubbed his eyes and turned on the bedside light. 


“I’m not sure, but I think contractions just started.” 


“When?” 


“Two minutes ago at 1:47.” 


“OK, we need to keep track of how far apart they are; it might be 30 minutes before your next one.  Can I get you anything since I know you aren’t going back to sleep?” 


“Ice.  Water.  And the box of Vanilla Wafers in the bottom cabinet next to the fridge.” 


“Hmm, I wondered where those went.” 


Emjay picked up her phone hit the speed dial for mom. 


Jean Marberg picked up the phone 20 seconds later. 


“Hi Emjay.  Are you OK?” 


“Mom, contractions started.” 


“Alright, that’s good.  You likely have a long way to go since this is your first baby.  Is Jake tracking how long between them?” 


“I haven’t had the second one yet. Truth is, I’m not sure I want it.” 


Jean smiled, “Emjay, you are ready for this.  You know what to expect and it will all be worth it when you have that little one in your arms.” 


“Thanks, mom.  I’m sorry to wake you, go back to sleep.  I’ll call if we go to the hospital tonight, otherwise, call me in the morning and we’ll see what’s happening.” 


“I love you, sugar.  I’m praying for you, the baby, and Jake.” 


“Thanks, mom.  Bye.” 


Next Emjay hit the button to call her boss.   


“Uh, Hi, Emjay.  Everything OK?” 


“Good Morning, Pete.  Sorry to bother you, but thought I better call right away.  My labor started, I’m not going to make it to the station.” 


“Well, why not,” Pete joked. “I can arrange a connection for a live feed later.” 


“Thanks, but I’ll pass on that, Pete, the language may not be FCC approved.” 


“Got it.  Don’t worry about a thing.  I’ll call Ken and he’ll cover it.  You do what you need to do, have your mom call me when the little guy arrives.” 


“Or little gal,” Emjay corrected. “I will.  Thanks, Pete.  Good night.” 


As she set the phone down, Jake walked in with a tray carrying ice chips, water, Vanilla Wafers, and Mt. Dew. 


“Jake, I can’t drink Mt. Dew.” 


“I know that, dear.  That’s for me – I want to be ready when it’s time.  I’ll put your ready bag in the car and park it outside.” 


“Thanks, Jake.  We can do this.” 


“Well, I’ll do all I can, honey, I think you’re doing the heavy-lifting.”


Follow the link to catch up with Radio Roseville.

Comments