Radio Roseville - Chapter 20

Friday morning, Pete was finishing off the first glass of Diet Dew when Kevin Storm walked in.  


“Good Morning, Kevin.  All set to go?”  


“Good Morning, Pete.  I will be after a refill and I grab my legal pad and backpack.”


Kevin Storm found Pete next to the car with the hatch open.  Storm threw the bag inside, then climbed in the passenger seat with the bag holding his laptop and notes. 

 

“Alright, Moss  I picked up a few doughnuts from Karen this morning.  How long do you think it will take us?” 


“I told Jack we’d be there around noon, so we have six hours.  I don’t think it will take us that long.” 


“No problem, if you want help driving, I’m glad to help.  Otherwise, I thought we could talk about the station and Ironwood, but don’t worry, not the whole time.” 


Good thing, I might fall asleep at the wheel if you did.” 


---- 


Connie Temple was loading her car with coffee, doughnuts, and cinnamon rolls for the first two Karen’s Kandies Distant Socials.  


A little before 8 in the morning, Connie pulled in front of Sally Hansen’s home.  It was Connie’s first stop.  Sally had four 6-foot tables spread on the front lawn with dark green tablecloths and a huge sign reading, “Neighbors Welcome.” 


Sally stayed on her porch until Connie set the last container of coffee on the table along with a bill.  


“Thanks, Connie!  I plan to get the hot containers back to the shop by 2 today.” 


“That’s fine, Sally.  Thank you for your order.  I hope you and your neighbors have fun. 


As she fired up the engine, she pointed her car north toward the lake for a delivery to John Schulte at the county park.  Schulte was one of several fishermen and women who liked to wet a line every Friday. 


As he saw the car with the Karen’s Kandies sign on the door, Schulte set his pole in its stand, wiped off his hands and headed toward to the truck. 


Connie saw John walking up the bank as she opened the back door.  “Hi John!  Where do you want this?” 


“Hello, Connie.  I’ve got a folding table in the back that’s cleaner than the picnic tables around here and my wife made me bring a table cover for it.  Is it OK to put it up behind my truck?” 


“That’s a good idea, John.  I’ll help you get settled.  Do you have napkins and cups?” 


“I do, they’re in the front seat.” 


“Connie placed the large cake box full of donuts and rolls at the far end of the table, then placed two pots of coffee in the center with boxes of cups and napkins next to them. 


“How’s that, John?” 


“That’s great.  Thank you, I mentioned to a couple guys a little while ago you were coming, and you would have thought someone caught a Muskie with an earthworm on a bamboo pole!” 


“Glad to hear it.  Thanks for your order.  Here’s your receipt, please bring the containers back before we close at 3 and we’ll return your deposit.” 


“Sounds good.  Can I place an order for next week, too?” 


“I think so, but I’ll have to check the calendar.  Just ask for me when you stop by.” 


---- 


Kevin I was thinking about Jack and their station.  Let’s say you were starting from zero, you’ve got an FCC permit; AM and FM frequencies; and an antenna how do you get things going from there?” 


“Well, I’ll assume you did market research into what the locals want to hear or where it was under-served.  Once you get the data, the challenge is determining how to deliver the product and make a profit. 


There isn’t as much over the air competition in the Upper Peninsula, but they have the same competition we do.  There is the internet, podcasts, satellite radio, and streaming music.  I think the key is figuring out what you can do that others can’t.” 


“So, it’s that simple?”  Pete asked with a smile. 


“SIMPLE!  It’s a long way from simple, my friend!!”  Kevin was getting charged up when he noticed Pete’s smile.  “I get it.  You were joking.” 


“Well, not entirely.  That was just a benefit.  This station’s been around forever and like us, I bet they have to keep evaluating what they can do that others can’t.” 


“You’re right, Pete.  It’s like any business.  Why drive to the hardware store downtown when you can save $2 online?  I buy downtown, because the online retailer won’t take the time to show me how to use what I purchase or offer advice when I need help.” 


“That’s a good thought, Kevin.  We’re coming up on half-way.  Let’s pull in here at Plover for a pit stop, then you drive.” 


Catch up on earlier chapters, by clicking here.

Comments