Ride Notes

Part of the Military Ridge trail in Verona.
5/22/20 dwm photo
My ride last Friday was notable for the encounters.

Just three miles out, maybe a mile west of where the picture was taken, I saw a small animal loping ahead of me on the path.

From a distance I thought it might be a muskrat or woodchuck, but as I came alongside, the Opossum looked at me then ducked into the grass.

It's the closest I've been to a Possum.  He/she wasn't going to pose for a photo and I wouldn't have tried it.

Later a deer looked up from it's breakfast to see what was approaching and calmly walked away.

When I left the house that morning the ground was a little wet.  A block into the ride a mist started and by the time I was into the second mile it rained, so I cut it short.

Cannonball path. 5/25/20 dwm photo
Monday was sunny, warm, and humid - even at 6 AM.  A few times my glasses fogged up.

Just because it was early on a holiday, I didn't expect to see many people on the trail - but there were several pairs of walkers, runners, and bikers.

It's the first time this year I rode the Cannonball Path which takes riders from McKee Road across to Fish Hatchery Road on an old railroad grade.  The photo at right was taken near Fish Hatchery looking southwest.

Last year I didn't take multiple rides in a weekend; hopefully that won't be the case this year.  The variables out of my control are other plans and weather - if a hard rain is likely, I wait for a better time.

So far, when its come to rides - the weather has been OK and the miles are mounting.  Keep Riding!

Comments