Radio Roseville - Chapter 16

On the drive home, Jean thought about the tone for the meeting.  As she considered the menu and what place would convey the right idea, she pulled up the driveway toward the farmhouse.  

“That’s it!” she exclaimed.  
--------- 

At the station, Pete Moss, Kevin Storm, Ken Records, Vicki James, Jeff Danson, Kathy Jones, and sales manager Jim Lynn gathered in the conference room sitting 6 feet apart.  

“Good morning, guys,” said Pete. “We’ve got a lot to cover.  First, I want Vicki and Kathy to share their idea for a new program to fill some of the holes we have in our schedule.” 

“Thank you, Pete,” Jones said as she stood.  “Gentlemen, our idea is to broadcast live games.” 

“How are you going to do that?” Ken asked.  “Everything’s cancelled.” 

“You’re right, Ken.  What we’re going to play a 16-team baseball tournament online.  We sell sponsorships and tickets to watch the video game, and broadcast the game. 

“There will be four games the first weekend; two semi-final games the next Sunday, and then a best of seven series starting the next Friday with games Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and then game 4 and any other games played every other evening until there is a champion.  The following weekend we start a second 16 team tournament and ultimately have the two champions face off in a best of seven.” 

Kevin Storm raised his hand, “I think this is a very good idea, Kathy.  We can sell the games and it gives our audience something to talk about.  Anything else?” 

Vicki James now stood, “Well, Kevin, there is.  If we continue needing programs, we can adapt this to other sports – football, basketball, even soccer.” 

“Who plays?” Pete asked. 

“We want towns in our listening area represented by local gamers.  They will be divided into different categories and qualify through a tournament in the banquet room at Gus & Tom’s.” 

“Thanks, Vicki.” Moss said, “I think you and Kathy should move quickly.  Let me know what you want and enlist anyone you need.  Jim, I suggest you work on this from the sales side.  Nice work, Kathy and Vicki, I think you have something.” 
------------- 

“Hi, Gus?  This is Jean Marberg.  Can you give me an idea what it costs to cater a country lunch, preferably cook-out style, for 20 people?” 

“What’s the event?” 

“A business meeting, but it’s going to be at the farm, I want to be nice, but informal.  You know, checkered tablecloth, hay bales, lemonade, Root Beer, etc.” 

“I think we can do the whole thing, including set-up, tables, chairs, and meal for $20 per person.” 

“That works for me.  I’m not ready to pull the trigger, but finalize the numbers and I’ll get back to you in a couple days.” 

“Thanks, Jean.  I’ll be ready.” 
------------ 

After the meeting, Moss returned to his office and checked voice mail.  “Pete? This is Jack Jackson in Ironwood.  Do you suppose we can get you up here next weekend?  If you want to bring a guest, I can reserve two rooms.  You’ve got my contact info.  Thanks.” 

Pete leaned back in the chair.  He pulled out his calendar and turned to the keyboard on the laptop.   
To: Jack Jackson 
From: Pete Moss 
Hi Jack, 
Got your message – let's do it!  Please reserve two rooms for me starting Friday night. I plan to get there by noon Friday, and we’ll leave Tuesday morning.  I want to bring a guest and will cover the cost of the second room.  Thanks. 
Looking forward to it. 
Pete 
----------- 

At Karen’s Kandies, Karen was talking with Connie Temple about her marketing idea. 

Connie explained that while walk-in business was fine, the loss of business to the virus was a significant part of their income.  “I think we can do something like the church deliveries, but with drops of coffee and pastry into neighborhoods.” 

Karen looked at Connie, “I don’t think we can give food away like that, even if it gets attention.” 

Connie shook her head, “No, that’s not it.  What I’m suggesting is that people call in to order the same deals we offer churches on Sundays.  They set up a table in their driveway or front yard – we deliver coffee pots and boxes of pastries and the neighbors can serve themselves.  They pay a deposit on the coffee pots that is released when we pick them up later that same day.” 

Karen was smiling, “Connie, I do like that idea.  I'd like to offer it on Tuesday and Thursday mornings?  Those are usually slow days.  I think we should look at 48 cups of coffee and 36 pastries to start; if that sounds OK with you, put together a plan and we’ll start advertising in the shop next Monday.” 

“Thanks, Karen.”  Connie smiled on the way back to her desk, since customers were already lined up for next week. 

Miss a chapter?  Catch up by clicking the link.

Comments