Radio Roseville - Chapter 10

Max Straw met James Noel in the hospital coffee shop, the day both expected to be watching the local team play for a championship. 

“Jim, thanks for meeting.  I want to let you know I’m available to help any way I can here or at the clinic as your team puts a plan together for dealing with the virus.”

“Thank you, Max.  We can use it.  We have four doctors on staff.  There are eight physician assistants who help here when needed, but usually work out of the clinic and make our house calls.  Beyond that, we have two registered notes on each shift.  There are usually two licensed practical nurses as well.  Beyond that, we rely on certified nursing assistants and medical assistants.  We are always hiring those positions; like everybody else, those positions tend to have a lot of turn-over.” 

“Sounds like you are in good shape that way.  What would you like me to do?” 

“Well, Max, I think you can help in a couple ways.  First, I hope you and Ken start doing your show every day, because the more we tell the people living in Roseville about the pre-cautions they can take the better.  Second, I think you are a great resource.  Could you be available to me; the other doctors; and P.A.’s?” 

“I’m happy to Jim.  Tell the doctors and physician assistants I can help by phone, text, or in person.  The idea about getting on air more is a good one; I’ll check with Ken about that when we finish.  While it’s been a while since I’ve done regular patient visits, let me know if you need me?” 

“Sounds good, Max. I promise, if we call you to do that – you know we need your help!” 

With that, both men laughed as they stood and “bow-ed” (bumping elbows) before heading their separate ways.  

Before he reached the parking lot, Max was talking to Ken Records. 

“Good morning, Ken.  I hope I didn’t wake you.” 

“Hi, Max.  No problem, I’ve been up a while already; how can I help?” 

“Ken, I just finished meeting with Doctor James Noel about the coronavirus that’s heading our way.  I wanted to know how I could help.  He suggested we get The Next Straw on the air everyday with advice and updates.  Do you think we could do something like that?” 

“That’s a good idea, Max.  Let me talk to Pete.  I’m sure we can figure out a way to do it.  From what I see on the national news, we need to get ready.  We have our regular show coming up in a couple of hours, let me see what we can pull together.” 

“Thanks, Ken.  See you later.” 

------------ 

Steve Jackson finished his turn running the Saturday morning show.  While news, weather, and the day’s events are the heart of the program – the station always included several guest segments on the outdoors – especially gardening and recreation.  The program reminded Steve of the work up at WRSE, and he loved the change of pace. 

He packed the car before driving to the station so he could head right to Roseville.  Dan Ivy followed him on air.  Ivy was in his 10th year with the station.  He worked Saturdays and Sundays through from 9 to 3 running the board for games, programming, or produced his own call-in show. 

As Jackson got in the car, he figured to reach Roseville in a couple hours. 

------------ 

Pete liked spending two hours in the office on Saturday mornings.  He still couldn’t get over the State Basketball tournament being cancelled.  Ever since it happened, Moss talked with a bunch of people at school and around town to come up with a way to recognize the team. 

At 1, the Roseville Fire Department is sending the Hook and Ladder truck to the school to pick up the team.  A flat-bed trailer pulled behind a Marberg John Deere tractor will carry the cheerleaders and band in front of the team and the Roseville Police will lead the short parade through town. 

It wasn’t much, but everyone agreed it was worth it.  As he drove to the station this morning, he noticed several businesses painting windows. 

Now he was waiting for Ken.  Records said on the phone he wanted to discuss how the station reacts to the virus.  Until then, Pete thought that was a problem for the big city and Roseville would be immune. 

“Morning, Pete.”  Ken greeted his boss as he sat down across the desk.  “I talked to Dr. Noel this morning.  He suggested we get something on the air everyday with Dr. Straw.  Kind of a daily update, health reminders, that kind of thing.  It could be in addition to the regular show.  I was thinking it could be live in studio or with him on the phone five days a week and we could record short hits for Sunday.  And we could run it at least twice if not three times a day.  I’m pretty sure we could get a sponsor.  One of the Saturday sponsors might go for it.” 

“That’s sounds good, Ken.  I like the way you worked it through.  It’s Saturday, so I suggest you give Jeff a heads-up for Monday morning.  You can talk to Jim in sales Monday as well, and he can work on getting it sponsored.  Nice job.” 

“I can’t take the credit, Pete.  Dr. Noel had the idea and Max ran with it.  Max has some natural radio in him, that’s for sure.” 

“Great.  Thanks, Ken.  Have a good show – I hope to see you downtown for the parade.” 

“Sounds good – just remember to stand 6 feet apart!” 

Comments