Michigan Lights - William Livingstone

The William Livingstone Memorial Light is built with
Georgia Marble.  926/2019 dwm photo
Before visiting this light, I hadn't heard of William Livingstone.

For that reason alone, I'll say Livingstone's friends accomplished their goal when they commissioned a 57 foot tower in his memory.

I saw its light while shooting at Windmill Point, so I figured it would be easy to find once I got to Belle Island.

That wasn't what happened.  I drove around the perimeter of the island and didn't see it.  When I finally saw someone to ask, I learned that road construction took me around it.

Livingstone's name is engraved
above the door.  9/26/19 (dwm)
Belle Island is a state park which annually hosts an Indy Car race, but it also a beautiful natural area.  After finding a place to park, I hiked until I saw the sun glinting off the fluted marble.

William Livingstone was an accomplished businessman - President of the Dime Bank; owned the Detroit Evening Journal newspaper; and led the Lake Carriers Association.

He championed a project to make the Detroit River deeper to help navigation.

It flashes red and white in ten second intervals.  As a memorial light, it isn't used for navigation.  A light placed on a heavy duty flagpole at the Coast Guard station handles that.

The white flash of light is visible during daylight.
9/26/2019  dwm photo
My previous experience with a memorial light was disappointing, as the Robert Manning light didn't live up to expectations.  Mr. Livingstone's memorial was different.

Just as a light, it is impressive - 57 feet high; built of marble; and located prominently on a trade route - it has a presence.

There is another light near Detroit, on Grosse Ile, but I was unable to make connections to see it on private property.

You can see other lights I've seen in Michigan by following the link

Still to come are the lighthouses on the Superior side of the state's Upper Peninsula.

Comments