Radio Roseville - Chapter 2

“Yes.” 

Pete and Jean looked at each other, broad smiles spreading across their faces. 

Pete spoke; “Wow.  That’s awesome.  We have a lot to figure out, I guess, but we can work our way through it.” 

“I think we can,” replied Jean. “I want to tell Emjay and Elaine, but not yet.  I didn’t expect to even think about getting married again, and now we’re engaged!”

“I was pretty young when that happened the first time.  So many things are different now than when we were in our 20s.”

“One thing, Pete, is that one of us is a newsman and owner of the radio station.  Did it occur to you this might be news?” 

“Oh right, it is.  You are a step ahead of me.  That’s why you don’t want to call your daughter, the reporter.” 

The two sat on the couch in the Noel’s Bed and Breakfast.  The sun was slowly setting, painting the river and hills.  A bottle of champagne was in an ice bucket on the table. 

Pete stood and headed into the kitchen where he turned off his Ipod, got the strawberries out of the fridge and returned with the fruit and two glasses. 

He handed one to Jean.  “Jean, I didn’t know I would be happy like this again.  You let me imagine and then see that future... with you.” 

She leaned over and kissed him. 

--------- 

Several miles down river, where the Rose widens into a lake, Dr. Maxwell Straw was unpacking his car and carrying bags into a two-bedroom cabin. 

Straw retired from the University and decided to settle outside Roseville.  Thanks to technology, he could keep up on the latest in allergies and consult with colleagues around the country.  He was also excited about joining Ken Records for a weekly radio program. 

It will air on WRSE every Saturday, then get posted as a podcast online.  Straw wasn’t sure if this would ever lead to anything, but Kevin Storm thought it had a chance to reach far beyond this corner of Wisconsin. 

----------

Helen Trier was packing a small moving van on the other side of Roseville.  While the estate of her Uncle Jack wasn’t settled yet; she had sold the house and was packing up the final keepsakes from the home of a war veteran and good businessman. 

Helen was pleased to see her uncle remembered the nieces and nephews in his estate plan, but also left a legacy for Roseville charities.  As the executrix, she had the pleasure of writing checks to the local library, food pantry, VFW, American Legion, and set up a fund to help Roseville kids get an education beyond Roseville high school. 

Before leaving town, there was one more thing to do, “Hello, Pete?” 

“That’s right, Pete Moss here, may I help you?” 

“Pete, this is Helen, you worked for my uncle...” 

“Of course.  I knew I recognized your voice.  How are things going?” 

“Pretty good.  The house is sold and it’s just a matter of time waiting for his estate to close.  I’m heading home and wanted to thank you again for the kind way you helped our family and for the way you are honoring his memory at the station.” 

“It’s my pleasure and honor, Helen.  You and your family are welcome any time.  I suspect we’ll still be in touch from time to time.” 

“I hope so.  Thanks, Pete.  Good-bye.” 

Comments