Shingle-ing

Waiting for a shot.  12/11/2019 dwm photo
Shingles is bad news.  It's a painful skin rash, usually with blisters.  In addition to the rash, according to the information page I got from the Medical Assistant at the Verona Clinic, it can cause fever, headache, chills, or upset stomach.

A common complication is long-term nerve pain that can occur on the parts of the body affected by the rash.  It can be a pain even if the rash is gone... for months or even years!  It can be severe and debilitating.

A resident I knew on our campus had that kind of pain caused by Shingles.

This nasty illness is caused by the same virus that causes Chicken Pox.  If you've had Chicken Pox, the virus stays in your body and cause Shingles years later.

My bout of Chicken Pox was Junior year of high school.  I was quarantined at home and missed a week of school, except we were on spring break at the time, so I just missed the time off.

Since I first heard of Shingles years ago, I wanted to avoid it.  Then I heard about a vaccine and wanted it; however, there wasn't enough vaccine for everyone so you had to be in a risk group to get it.

Apparently the supply has grown, because I recently heard you didn't need to be 65 or older to get the shots.  After calling the clinic, they asked if I'd come in the next afternoon.

I rolled up my sleeve so the Medical Assistant could take her shot at me.  It burst through the skin into the muscle on the outside of my right arm close to the shoulder.  It didn't hurt like the needles at the Red Cross when giving blood, but there was a definite pinch as the virus-fighter poured into my body.

The advice was to get the shot opposite of the side you usually sleep on (good advice, by the way) and as the medicine was absorbed the pain subsided.

It takes more than one shot.  No sooner than 2 months after the first shot and no longer than 6 months after, it is important to get back in for a second shot to prevent getting the wrong kind of shingles on your house.

If you had chicken pox, I suggest calling your doctor to see if you get an appointment.  The pinch and pressure are worth it to avoid potentially severe pain!

Comments