My Week That Was - Dec 7

Freddie's Popcorn on Main Street
Dubuque, Iowa. 11/30/19 dwm photo
We started the week with a day trip to Iowa to see family.  On the way back, we stopped in Dubuque to pick up popcorn at Freddie's.

The small Main Street shop pops and packages a variety of corn all year.

My favorite is their Classic Trio - buttered, cheese, and carmel popcorn.

Freddie is closed Sundays.  If you pass near Dubuque any other day, check it out.

More drama when we got back from Iowa... I took the receipt from the convenience store out of my pocket to record what I spent...  when I discovered the clerk didn't charge me for gas!

I thought back to our visit there that morning.

I pushed the "pay inside" button and filled the tank.  Then I went in to get a fruit smoothie, donuts, and cheese sticks before going to the register.

The clerks always ask if you pumped any gas, so I was ready and said "Pump 10."  She rang things up, I ran my card through the machine, asked for the receipt and shoved it in my pocket.

10 hours later that receipt went back to the station.  After a brief explanation, the guy behind the counter said, "Oh, you're the drive-off from this morning!"  While technically true, I thought I had paid, which is why I returned.  After a few minutes of conversation, the guy went to get the slip for gas, and I paid.

Next time, and every time, I'll check my receipt before putting it my pocket.

The work portion of the week seemed shorter than usual though there was five days of working.

Thursday and Friday were Employee Appreciation parties on each Oakwood campus.  All employees were invited to attend one of three parties on their campus to be thanked, have some treats, and receive their holiday bonus check.

My role was including donors in the event.  We did that be asking several to hand out the checks, others to welcome staff members to the party, and a few to share their stories of appreciation.

Thursday's parties were 7 to 8 a.m; 10:30 to 12:30 p.m.; and 2:30 to 4:30 p.m.  Friday's parties were the same, except the early event was from 6:30 to 7:30 a.m.

Those early calls required some adjustments to my workout schedule.  I usually get in the gym around 5:30, but needed an extra 30 minutes to exercise and get to the events on time.  That worked well, but I was quite tired by the end of Friday - thankfully Mt. Dew go-juice powered me through the days.

The events went very well - residents/donors and employees seemed to have fun.

I did too, now I just need to catch up on my sleep to get ready for next week. 

18 days till Christmas - better get shopping!

Comments