Voice Acting

Hyatt House, Schaumburg, IL  (internet image)
Saturday I drove to Schaumburg for a Master Class in Voice Acting at the Hyatt House.

That's the term voice-overs (the words you hear on radio commercials or anything on TV where you hear a voice, but don't see the speaker).  The people doing voice-overs are voice actors.

Who knew I was getting into acting!

There are more layers to it than I realized when I worked in radio and heard disc jockeys creating spots for our advertisers.

It's not about a "big voice" or a "great voice."  It is about understanding your role as the speaker; who you are talking to and knowing what the key points are in the message.

My home studio. 11/24/19
dwm photo
Before my one on one coaching sessions begin, I have one more session to get familiar with my home studio.

The studio is the piece that makes professional recording at home possible.  The little red box (center right in photo) is the pre-amp which converts my voice into digital.  The microphone is behind the round pop-screen.  The headphones are on the desk.  On the computer screen is the studio software - the waves are the first recording.

Back at the radio station, I thought about recording commercials, but you needed to schedule and pay for studio time.  If that was still the case, my pursuit of voice acting jobs would be impossible.

The studio and the coaching make it possibile.

The last time I gave acting a shot was in high school.  In Comedy of Errors, I wore tights; thankfully as a vocal actor I won't do that again.

I hope to throw my voice in the ring after learning the craft and improving my skills as a digital editor.

Take 1.  3, 2, 1.....

Comments