My Week That Was - Nov 30

Bridge over Sugar Creek outside Verona, WI
11/28/19 dwm photo
It was a short work week.

Thankfully, it was productive.

I didn't have many donor visits scheduled, which happens as we get into the holidays, but I found a surprising number of people at home to thank or set up future meetings.  I caught up on paperwork and reduced the "to do" list to just a couple of long-term projects.

Wednesday we shared our story about Lighthouse Keeping for the 4th time - this time on the Oakwood campus.

There was a nice turnout and an interested audience that asked great questions - we had fun sharing the stories and we brought it in for a landing in under an hour.

Also on Wednesday, I experienced a "generational moment."  I stopped by a colleague's office to say hello, and heard something playing in the background.  She replied it was "Dubstop."

"What?" I replied.  I wasn't sure what she said.  She clarified it is a sub-genre of E.D.M.   I am familiar with E.D.M. (Electronic Dance Music), so that gave me a point of reference.

I later asked a couple colleagues closer to my age if they had heard of Dubstop.  The one that had, has children in their twenties.  It is always good to expand your musical horizons - even if it doesn't become a favorite.

Thanksgiving was spent quietly at home - we had a nice meal to celebrate the holiday with our customary glass of sparkling cider.  I do love that cider.

Friday it was time to give blood for the 110th time, when I was happy to see Jane working.  She's a phlebotomist and has been the one who has 'poked' me close to 10 times over the last several years.  She is confident, steady, and doesn't miss - which has a calming effect.

The last time I saw her, she was about to join the crew serving blood drives in the community instead of at the Red Cross Headquarters on Madison's west side.  I later heard she was retiring.

As it turned out, yesterday was her final day.  Given the nature of the job and that there is at least 8 weeks between visits - it is difficult to get to know the person on the other end of the needle.  Early on, we learned we shared a connection through Oakwood, which lead to other conversations that we'd pick up every two months.

The Springwater Volunteer Covered
Bridge.  11/29/19 (dwm)
I'm sorry to see her leave the post as she is my favorite, but wish her all the best on the next steps of her journey.

After giving blood, we used Black Friday for a road trip to Wild Rose, Wisconsin.

Last month, I heard about a covered bridge near there I wanted to add to my collection.

It is a new bridge, just 22 years old, but the story is interesting, so it was worth the trip.

You are going to have to wait to hear it from me (although you can look it up if you are curious) until January.  It looks like the Springwater bridge will go live at the end of that month.

So, that's my week - I hope you have an excellent week to come.

Comments