| Autumn. 10/13/2013 dwm photo |
There were 278 unread emails in my inbox.
My password didn't open the software I use every day. Unfortunately, there wasn't a quick fix. For some reason, clicking "I forgot my password" suggested a link to a site inside the software I couldn't access because the password door was locked. Apparently, 15 days is too long to remember a password if you don't use it for two weeks.
Judging my inbox took two hours to clean, it appears most of it is worth only a few seconds before hitting delete. I guess that's why a tool to increase productivity can also decrease it.
It was exciting, but the Milwaukee Brewer season came to a sudden stop Tuesday in Washington. The Brewers jumped off to a three run lead. But the same formula that worked during their September hot streak failed despite a two run lead in the eighth inning. The Nationals beat the Crew 4 - 3.
Last year's team gave Brewer fans an exciting ride. This year, we expected to take the next step. Instead it was a tough road. The team scraped and clawed to stay in contention and qualify for the play-offs. I can't wait for next season.
Thursday was the last rickshaw rides I gave this year. It was cool with a slight breeze - making it the coldest day of the year for rides around campus. I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout, so many of the older adults wanted a ride, it was non-stop for an hour.
Yesterday was 64 days since the last time I gave blood, so I returned to the Red Cross headquarters. It went pretty well. For a while, anyway.
After getting the needle in my vein, the phlebotomist noted that my blood wasn't flowing like it should. That required an "adjustment." Which is what it sounds like. The person drawing the blood moves the needle into a better position. I have no problem with that, I'm there to give blood, and the better it flows, the quicker I'm finished.
He had an issue, and asked the woman drawing blood at the next cot to assist. She moved the needle somewhat, and all seemed fine. It was then, or shortly after when I felt something warm on my arm.
My blood.
Which meant several things: I was done giving blood; they scrambled to stop the bleeding; and contain it before it got on my clothes. When I saw tiny ribbons of red wrapped around my forearm, I scooched out of the way.
I was mostly a spectator the next five minutes as the bleeding stopped and the donation gear was put away. I was wiped clean, bandaged, and sent to the canteen.
Even though I gave just a little of the intended pint; it still counts as my 109th time giving blood. None of it could be used. The bevel, which connected the tube to the bag, disconnected as they adjusted my needle. Once that happened, the blood was considered contaminated, so it was unusable.
This has never happened to me before, I doubt it will again. I'm sure it won't happen again - and plan to return in November to try again.
I hope you stayed clean - make next week great!
Comments
Post a Comment