Chapter 9 - Looking Back, Moving Ahead

Originally published June 5, 2015

"It's coming up on 8 o'clock and time for news, I'll back with a local news update and Kevin Storm has your pleasant forecast. Thanks for listening to WRSE/WMJM, Roseville, Wisconsin."

Pete Moss flicked off the mike and motioned at Jeff in the main studio that he had 5 minutes before he needed to be back in the studio.

While the news was on the air, Kevin Storm slid into the chair across the desk from Pete.  "Good Morning, Pete.... you'll be happy to know the barometric pressure is holding steady with 28.6 isobars and..."

"Hold it right there, my friend.  That weather jargon is all good, but just tell me if the sun is shining, when it might rain, and how warm it is now and today's high, OK?"  Pete replied in mock desperation.  Both men laughed.

Pete reached over to shake Kevin's hand.  The two had only worked together at the station for about a year, but the two knew each other since their time at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa.

Kevin got his start doing a little bit of everything at a tiny radio station that was also part of an Iowa radio agricultural network.  Pete happened to be downstairs from the station while working in the Capitol bureau for a Waterloo TV station.  The radio station had a news wire which the one room TV bureau didn't, so their paths crossed frequently.

There were three years between the two, which is why they think they met off campus before realizing they were both Drake Bulldogs.

Across the Rose River on the other side of Roseville, Jake Bauer and Emjay Marberg sat together in the cafeteria of the Rose County Hospital, holding each other's hand while their coffee cooled.  Jake's crutches leaned against a chair next to his leg-covered cast covered with autographs and well wishes.

"Jake, you had me worried.  I'm glad it wasn't worse - we can thank God for that - but it would be nice if we don't make these coffee dates at the hospital a habit in the future.  OK?"

Jake laughed, a twinkle in his eye as he squeezed her hand.  They've known each other forever, but it was only in the last year or so he actually saw her.  Their first date was at Gus & Tom's followed by a walk by the river and a boat ride where they took turns rowing.  He hadn't dreamed how much they would mean to each other someday.

"I'm sorry, Emjay.  I really meant just to sprain my ankle."  After a sip of his coffee, he looked deep into her blue eyes.  "You were the first person I thought of when the water started coming in the front of the car.  I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but I knew that more than anything I needed to see you and tell you these three words.  I love you."

Emjay didn't know what to say.  Her smile grew and her eyes moist.  She knew he loved her and was sure he knew she loved him, but this was the first time it was said out loud.

"Jake, I love you."

One floor above, Jake's Dad, George Bauer was walking the floor with his wife of 35 years, arm in arm.

Barb slowed down to bring them to a stop.  "George, we can be thankful you survived all this and only needed a stent to keep your vein open.  I don't know what I'd do without you.  If you don't mind, I'd like to refresh your memory to our agreement."

George smiled. "Agreement?  I don't remember anything saying I couldn't have a health issue.  You know, that whole 'in sickness and in health' thing?"

"Now, George, you know what I mean.  We're supposed to retire to the lake and watch our grandchildren play on the beach.  I need you with me to see that through!"

George and Barb embraced then held both her hands and looked her in the eye.  "Honey, I'll do the best I can, Lord willing.  We've had an amazing life, and I'm looking forward to more days together.  I have a feeling with you serving as my at-home trainer before long I'll be in better shape than I was before this whole situation."

She smiled, "That's right.  And I'm here to tell you we're both going to be eating better and smarter from now on."

"What?  I hope that doesn't mean I can't have your great cookies and a bowl of ice cream anymore!"

The couple resumed walking - heading to an outside courtyard with flowers, waterfall, and the sounds of two dozen birds attracted by the feeders provided by the local Girl Scouts.  They sat down, and like they always did worked through their plans for the days and weeks ahead.  George wants to go back to work and Barb is worried its too soon.  They made their points before finding a plan that let George think he was getting his way while leaving Barb satisfied.

George hoped to be back in the office Monday.  He enjoyed work.  It challenged him and forced him to find solutions for issues that seemed impossible.  He enjoyed the process of working with colleagues.

He knew many people had jobs.  He felt his a calling, an opportunity to serve his Creator and the people with whom he worked.  Even though it was only going to be half-days for a while, per his agreement with Barb... George counted his career as another reason to follow doctor's orders.

After maneuvering down the hall, Jake persuaded Emjay to take another break. He wanted to talk. He had an urgent need to learn what she wanted to do after their last year in school.  Could it include him?  Where did she want to live?  What did she want to do?

There was so much to talk about, words falling over each other as they shared their hopes and dreams.  Frequently, their ideas and goals ended at the junction of when and how does it happen?  It was a cathartic conversation, they were closer now than twenty minutes ago.

Eagerly, they talked about their last year at school when Jake's focus returned to his leg.  "The doc says my leg will heal eventually, but I'm not going to be any good for the team anymore.  I need to tell Coach Ryan to get another assistant manager..."

"Hang on Jake, not so fast."

The voice was familiar.  Jake and Emjay turned to see Coach Bo Ryan.  He kept walking until he was standing next to Jake by the window overlooking the river.

"Jake, I'm glad you're back on your feet.  We need you this season.  With a bunch of guys graduating, I need all the experience I can get - including you."

"But, Coach.  I can't keep up with the drills and stuff.  I should be able to walk without crutches and a cast in a few months, but it will be a full year before I'm up to speed.  I'm sorry to let you down."

Coach Ryan looked at Jake and shook his head.  "Wait a second Jake, I wasn't finished.  You aren't assistant manager anymore.  We need you to help with a new position that will combine scouting reports, video study, and statistical analysis to make sure we have the best plays, the best training, and the right players on the floor at all times.  How does that sound?"

A long pause followed.  Emjay could see the smile start in the corners of Jake's eyes before the rest of his face caught up.

"Wow, thank you coach.  I would love to do that.  I've been studying statistics and learned so much from you and the rest of the coaches.  I'll do the best job I can for you and the team."

"Thanks, Jake.  I was hoping you would say that," came the coach's reply, "I brought you a stack of coaching video to look at from our last six games.  I hope you can get me a general impression before summer conditioning starts at the end of the month?"

"Will do, Coach, I'm on it!  Thank you.  On Wisconsin!"

Back at WRSE, the newscast and weather finished until the top of the hour; Pete and Kevin talked about the upcoming Rose River Ski Spectacular.  Kevin's long range forecast is for good weather, so the plans for Kathy's remote broadcast were coming together.

Kevin suggested a lead-in show, maybe the night before that could be another sales opportunity with a celebration of the community's volunteer ski show team.  Pete knew there was archive material in the files and there could be 'sound' in the station's new digital cloud vault.

A Friday night pre-show and a live broadcast for the weekend would be a big undertaking for a station like WRSE - another all hands on deck moment.  Kevin and Pete agreed to iron out the details before calling a staff meeting.

Come back later this afternoon at 3 for Chapter 10.

Comments