Chapter 25 - Home, Again


Originally published September 25, 2015

It was close to 9:30 in the morning when Jake, Glen, and Elaine drove back into Roseville.  

A phone call to the Sheriff put the well-meaning welcoming committee on County Highway MJ as the three drove quietly in on US Highway 14.   

Jake pulled the car to a stop near the back porch of Jean Marberg's farm home. 

"Here we are, Elaine.  Are you awake?"  Glen turned in his seat to see his niece wiping sleep from her eyes and stretching before getting out of the car. 

"Thanks, Uncle Glen.  I guess I didn't realize how tired I am.  I can hardly believe I slept.  And, thanks for driving in the back way, guys." 

"You'll have to thank the Sheriff on that,  He stationed his patrol cars out on the county road and that attracted a small crowd.  An awful lot of people are glad you're back and you don't need to see all of them now, but I'd suggest we figure out an easy way for you to do so today sometime." 

"Ok, Jake.  I understand.  Thank you, I do appreciate it.  Does mom know we're back?" 

"By the looks of the eyes peering out the window, I would say so..." 

Elaine opened the car door and after a couple tentative steps sprinted up the stairs into the arms of her tearful mother.   Jake and Glen pretended to get something out of the trunk so the two would have a moment. 

"Look at you." Jean said through tear-filled eyes looking at her little girl, "I'm so glad you're OK and back home.  You must be hungry!  Come in, come in.   

"You guys, too.  Get in here." 

Jake and Glen gathered a few of the things and headed inside.  Emjay greeted Jake at the door with a big hug and welcoming kiss back home.  Glen made his way inside, finding Jean, Elaine, and a couple other family members around the large kitchen table. 

After many hugs, more tears, and some Cinnamon Rolls from Karen's place in town, the family's attention turned to what they should do next. 

Emjay spoke first, "I think we stand behind and with Elaine later today downtown.  Maybe someplace close to Gus & Tom's or in their conference room.  People want to celebrate your return, sis, and you can say thank you and whatever else you want or just say thanks and step down.  You're aren't on trial or anything.  But, by waiting, the phone will start ringing off the hook and you'll have more reporters to deal with than if you do it all at once." 

Heads were nodding.  Since Emjay worked at the station, everyone knew she had a good idea about the reality of the situation.   

Uncle Glen spoke, "I think, if Elaine is in agreement with this, that Emjay should talk to Pete and set a time for later today.  Then we can ask Gus about using their place and once that's OK'd we ask Pete to send a story out on the return home and a media availability." 

"Thanks, Uncle Glen,"  Elaine spoke aloud for the first time, still dabbing at some tears and breathing hard.  "I want to say thanks and I'll need everyone of you standing with me up there.  It's a Friday night, so we can get this behind us and move ahead.  Now, if you don't mind, I need some more sleep.  Mom, please wake me 90 minutes before we need to go so I can get cleaned up.  Good night, I mean, Good day - thanks for your prayers.  Maybe at some point I'll tell you more about this, I just can't right now." 

The phone rang in the newsroom and Pete found himself talking to Emjay about her sister's return.   

They agreed on a 4:00 news conference at Gus & Tom's.  Pete would ask Sheriff Stearns to attend.  Pete suggested someone introduce Elaine and explain beforehand whether or not Elaine would answer questions. 

Coach Suter and Kathy were in a booth doing show prep around 3:30 when the first news crews arrived inside Gus & Tom's.  Tom pointed the way to the back where they could choose between stairs or a freight elevator.  By the time for the news conference came along, Kathy had counted 10 camera crews and a dozen newspaper and radio reporters.    

Pete called earlier and had Steve to run a cable downstairs to the Sports Tonight broadcast table from the conference room.  Pete wanted to be upstairs, so he gave Kathy a script to use when she heard the cue over the live feed. 

"Ahem."   Sheriff Stearns stood at the podium, cleared his throat and looked at the paper before him.  

Downstairs, Kathy broke into programming as planned with the Steve at the station, and began, "WRSE interrupts this broadcast to take you live to a news conference about the abduction of a Roseville woman.  At the mic is County Sheriff Ted Stearns. 

"Very early yesterday morning outside the Riverside Bowling Center a suspect, now identified as 37-year-old Curtis Anthony of rural Sheboygan, forcibly placed Elaine Marberg into his vehicle and drove away.  Thanks to the cooperation of multiple sheriff's departments, the State Patrol, and the Division of Criminal Investigation as well as the public, I'm glad to tell you Elaine is safely home. 

"Mr. Anthony is facing multiple charges, including kidnapping and false imprisonment.  Other charges are pending an investigation.   Initial charges will be made in Sheboygan County, although it is possible he could also face charges here in Rose County.   

"Miss Marberg asked to speak to you and the people of Roseville and Wisconsin.  She is not taking questions.  Elaine?" 

"Thank you, sheriff.   I'm Elaine Marberg.  I'm 16 and a junior at Roseville High..." 

Across Roseville, you could hear the breeze rustling leaves it was so quiet.  Folks not attending the news conference were intently listening to the words of one of their own. 

"When I was grabbed and put into that car the other night, my short life flashed before my eyes.  I didn't know who was grabbing me, didn't understand why my friends couldn't help me, and as the hours went by... couldn't begin to imagine what might happen to me and wonder if I would ever see my family, my friends and my Roseville again. 

"I want to thank the sheriff and all the men and women in law enforcement who went searching for me and who played any part in my rescue.  Thank you to Pete Moss of WRSE, his early broadcast and efforts to share the story of the abduction while it was happening helped convince a person to call authorities with a tip which eventually led to my return.   I don't know the person who called, but please know from the bottom of my heart that I thank you and my family thanks you. 

"Thanks to all who prayed and watched and searched.  Thanks be to God for keeping me safe and giving me strength. 

"While I'm fine.  These events have shaken my family and me.  I need time and I ask for understanding.  At some point, more information will come out, just not today or anytime soon. 

"I want to get back to school and spend time with my friends again.  I hope to get back to normal and I appreciate everyone in Roseville for helping me do that.  Thank you." 

Sheriff Stearns resumed his place behind the microphone and answered some further questions about the suspect, the timeline for the abduction and the rescue.  He revealed that Jake Bauer and Glen Marberg were on the scene when Elaine escaped and shared the story Jake and Glen told him a few hours earlier.  The collected media, to say nothing of the folks at home, listened to every word. 

Finally, after the last question was answered, the Sheriff thanked everyone for coming and stepped away from the mike.  Kathy wrapped up the live remote as Pete slid into the chair next to her prompting her to ask him his thoughts on this dramatic story. 

"Kathy, this story is unlike anything I've ever covered.  There was a disappearance years ago as I remember, and it had a happy ending as well, but there wasn't any criminal act.  This deal is an unpleasant reminder that Roseville isn't immune to crime and danger.  We may not experience it often, but it can happen here.  We need to look out for each other and help each other.  We need to know our neighbors and be willing to call right away when something strange happens. 

"WRSE will have more on this tomorrow, but what I can report now is after a brief meeting with several concerned citizens, the Police Chief, and Sheriff Stearns a neighborhood watch program is going to be introduced in Roseville.  Our station will support the effort to create a safer community any way we can. 

"Finally, I'd like to echo the words of Elaine Marberg.  Thanks to all our listeners for their help and support of the family and of Elaine.  They appreciate it very much." 

"Thank you, Pete.  Steve, that's it from here, so I'll send it back to you.  Coach Suter and I will be ready with WRSE Sports Tonight just after 6." 

Jack told Pete to take the rest of the weekend off and that Jon and Sam will handle his broadcast.  Pete walked down the sidewalk from Gus & Tom's toward his car which he steered down a long stretch of blacktop toward a country house.  

Elaine Marberg's mom, Jean, asked him to dinner. 

Comments